Search Community

draggable: children of anchor not draggable with mouse

ynamite test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by GreenSock,

Hi there

draggable is working fine on my touch device, but not on my desktop using a mouse – latest Firefox Mac, haven't tested any other browsers.

Anyone have any ideas as to why?

In this specific case the element I'd like to be draggable is placed within an anchor-tag and I suspect that's where the problem lies.

Adding `dragClickables: true` doesn't seem to make a difference.

I could change the HTML, but I'd like to avoid that if possible, as this would require some amount of work and testing on project that is live.

Thanks for the help!

See the Pen JjWGrMY by ynamite (@ynamite) on CodePen

Not sure. Any ideas, @GreenSock?

I know you said you don't want to change the HTML, but you could just manually open the link. Change the <a> to a <div> and then add a listener.

const dragMe = document.querySelector(".drag-me");

dragMe.addEventListener("click", e => {
  window.open("http://www.google.com", "_blank");
});

• Like 2

Thanks @OSUblake

After changing the <a> to a <div> it works fine and was much easier to implement than expected.

The drawback is that the link will only work with JS enabled. Not sure if search engines will be able to pickup on these faux-links.

3 minutes ago, ynamite said:

Thanks @OSUblake

After changing the <a> to a <div> it works fine and was much easier to implement than expected.

The drawback is that the link will only work with JS enabled. Not sure if search engines will be able to pickup on these faux-links.

I would mark it up as a link and then use Javascript to change the markup to a <div>. That way if JS is not available, due to error or being disabled, your link is intact.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Shaun Gorneau said:

I would mark it up as a link and then use Javascript to change the markup to a <div>. That way if JS is not available, due to error or being disabled, your link is intact.

Hm, that sounds edgy. Can the tag of an existing element simply be changed? And if so, how?

Edit: the whole element would need to be replaced, I think.

11 minutes ago, Shaun Gorneau said:

Not edgy at all, just progressive enhancement.

Alright, easier done than said ;) seems to be working fine.
Still seems a little off to me but oh well, it works. Thanks!

• Solution

Part of the problem is that your <a> is an outer wrapper around the thing that Draggable is controlling, so mouse/pointer/touch events are getting hijacked before they even get to the Draggable. It looks to me like some browsers (like Firefox) interpret a mousedown on a linked image as if you want to drag-n-drop it somewhere (like your desktop).

For me, this seemed to resolve it in Firefox: 

document.querySelector(".drag-me").addEventListener("mousedown", e => e.preventDefault())

Does that help? 

• Like 2