Search Community

using onUpdate when scrubbing upwards with scrolltrigger

buster808 test
Moderator Tag

Hi, its for scrolltrigger - change start and end when scrubbing upwards. As my hero goes off screen when scrubbing upwards. Ill do a pen if this doesnt help

gsap.timeline({
  scrollTrigger:{
  ease: "none",
  trigger: "#demo",
    start: "top +35%",
    end: "bottom +60%",
  scrub: 0.4,

Thanks

Hi,

You mean a different start and end points depending on the scroll direction? If that's what you're looking for, I don't know if that's possible with the current API. It seems that the config() method is intended for other purposes, as start and end values are read only.

The only thing I can think of is to re-create the ScrollTrigger instance with the new values using the onLeave and onLeaveBack callbacks.

Perhaps @GreenSock or @OSUblake could shed some light on that subject.

Happy Tweening!!!

• Like 1

Yes thats right Rodrigo Ill try your method thanks.

I see this on direction

ScrollTrigger.create({
  trigger: ".trigger",
  start: "top center",
  end: "+=500",
  onUpdate: self => console.log("direction:", self.direction)
});

Reflects the moment-by-moment direction of scrolling where 1 is forward and -1 is backward.

Just dont know how to code the onUpdate.

My javascript is basic.

I'm still pretty lost, sorry. Why would you want to change the start/end values? I'm relatively confident that you probably don't actually want to do that and once you explain a bit more about the "why" behind your request, we may be able to offer a much simpler solution. Changing the start/end based on direction sounds like something that'd create some major logic issues, but perhaps I'm misunderstanding. 

17 hours ago, buster808 said:

As my hero goes off screen when scrubbing upwards

A minimal demo is worth 10,000 words :)

Technically you could create two different ScrollTriggers, and just use onEnter/onLeave callbacks on one, and then onEnterBack/onLeaveBack on the other because those are direction-specific. But again, I have a strong suspicion there's a cleaner solution that'll become apparent once you describe the "why" behind your request and provide that minimal demo. 👍

• Like 2