Search Community

Formula 1 Undercut Attempt

mattsrinc test
Moderator Tag

Hi to all, Formula 1 2021 season will soon start so I've thought it would be nice to share my animation.

It was for a contest and I still believe it was the best but the client is always right (only when he's not 😀 - remember Steve Jobs?).

Undercutting in F1 is going to pit earlier, do some fast laps (with fresh tyres - filling a fuel not an action here) and get in front of the car previously leading. Maybe the text caption for driving fast lap(s) would be good to add (you can see in the code the red car is driving faster after a pit stop).

I would love to see the code updated to GSAP 3 if anyone has time to do it - I haven't succeeded in the zeitnot. And for real F1 fans here's the schedule for 2021 (I don't remember but maybe there are all tracks available as vector shapes somewhere on the web):

https://www.formula1.com/en/racing/2021.html 🏁

See the Pen rNWXRZd by mattsrinc (@mattsrinc) on CodePen

10 hours ago, GreenSock said:

Thanks for sharing! I don't really have time to convert all that for you, but it should be totally possible.

Yeah, thanks - when time permits (I remember I have tried it with GSAP 3 - some commented code is left in - yet went to working code to submit entry on time).

BTW has anyone noticed both formula cars go left and right to middle track path (using slight pixel translation in sub-timelines)? It works much more naturally then only following the path.

Edited by mattsrinc
Added information about sub-timelines