Search Community

Best Resources to Get Started

QArm test
Moderator Tag

Hi,

I'm new to GASP and want to go about it the best way. So, in learning this platform, I'll need to get better (and learn) a few other platforms. I know CSS and HTML/5, with a little bit of other coding knowledge. But, I am not proficient in Javascript. What programming languages would be the most necessary to be proficient in to utilize GASP?

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the GreenSock forums.

Well, considering that GSAP works in JS, learning that would be the first step in the right direction. After learning JS is up to you and what you intend to do as a developer, besides creating GSAP based code.

In my case I took time to learn PHP and a bit of Python, as well as SQL in order to work as a full stack developer. Funny thing is that, up to this day no one has payed me a single dollar for working with Python, and the last time I got paid for working with PHP was about 4 years ago, when I made a custom WordPress template. Since then all my work has revolved around JS using GSAP, PIXIJS, React and Vue on the client side. Now using React and Vue implies also learning all their environment as well (Routing, Stores, Transitions, Static Site Generators, etc). On the server I normally work with Node, Express, MongoDB, SQL and GraphQL (Apollo and Prisma). Finally now a days is becoming more required to learn Typescript as well, so I'd recommend get your feet wet with that.

Also learn Git and testing frameworks such as Jest, Mocha, Chai and if you can learn about CI/CD. But Git is essential these days and also helps to keep the progression of your work better structured and makes it easier work with other developers.

It might seem a bit daunting all the things I listed here, but just start with one thing at a time. For example get to know JS and typescript. Then jump into either React or Vue. For example I learned how t use React first and then learning how to use Vue was really simple, since most of these frameworks work in a similar fashion.

Finally learn to navigate API docs, that will make learning new frameworks super simple. This is just a matter of practice in my experience, so don't get discouraged if something doesn't work and always try to learn the reasoning behind a solution. While copy/paste will certainly get the job done, you'll learn nothing and the next time you face a challenge you'll be in the same spot, while learning the how and why something works allows you to solve issues by yourself.

Happy Tweening/Learning!!!

• Like 3

In my opinion, just start making stuff with HTML, CSS, and JS :) If you want to mix in learning about SVG, Canvas, and WebGL (probably through a library like Three.js) go for it. You definitely don't have to be proficient in anything to start working with GSAP. Though obviously the more JS knowledge you have the better.

@Carl has an intro video course that's good if you're into that sort of thing. There's also the Getting Started article, learning section, and docs to help get you started.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, ZachSaucier said:

In my opinion, just start making stuff with HTML, CSS, and JS :) 

Agreed. And know that gsap helps you a LOT with creating animation stuff that you want. It solves for you many otherwise rather difficult to write js code. Gsap is great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...