Search Community

Forum suggestion: Sub forum for front end dev environments

violacase test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by violacase,

I'm struggling getting the membership plugins nicely run in a Nuxt environment. Searching the global forum for as it is now really is a mess. 

Why not create sub forum pages for these environments? Surely other people do and shall encounter problems in their env's.

And by the way: A definitely good step-to-step installation guide for these particular environments (at least for Nuxt in my case) lack over here.

Edited by violacase
text mistakes

Hey violacase. Part of the issue is that there are a lot of environments out there, we can't make detailed resources for all of them. So we do our best to provide general instructions that guide people through the important steps of installing GSAP. 

The easiest way to get GSAP working in an environment like yours is to download the GSAP ZIP file, add the .tgz file to wherever you need it to be, then install from that .tgz file. 

The alternative in an environment like yours is to to use the GreenSock private registry, installing using a private key that is provided to you. 

Instructions on how to do both are found in the GSAP installation page. If you're running into an error at a specific point please give us info about at what point that is happening and what the error is.

• Like 4

Hey @ZachSaucier,

You responded mainly to my btw, not to my suggestion to create a dedicated sub forum. There may be many environments, but that should not be a reason not to consider my suggestion. Firstly, you have the absolute top, namely: React, Vue, Nuxt, Angular, Svelte. After that a few others exist indeed. You could put them under "Other" You are mainly explaining the general procedure. I already read this. Do I have to post problems that still encounter in this global forum? Then it becomes further polluted with non-specific GSAP problems.

2 hours ago, violacase said:

I'm struggling getting the membership plugins nicely run in a Nuxt environment.

Read @OSUblake's comments and suggestions in these two threads, hopefully those will help you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, violacase said:

I've read that too. The problem with this is the 'try-and-maybe-this-works' solution. I don't like that at all. I want a professional well described approach.

Yeah, I hear you and it's totally understandable that you'd want something like that. Here are some of the factors we wrestle with:

• There are a ton of frameworks and they are all evolving. They're moving targets and there are new frameworks that come out all the time. 
  • It's quite difficult to study each one, understand all the ins and outs, and formulate the "right", "professional" way that each one expects things to be done. And then stay on top of all that and constantly update each tutorial to cover the latest changes to how each of those frameworks expects things to be done - it'd require a lot of time. We're animation and JavaScript experts - frameworks aren't our focus. 
  • We have limited resources and we're focused on crafting top-notch tools and supporting the community here in the forums, plus crafting helpful docs, videos, etc. We spend hours and hours every day just answering GSAP-specific questions here in the forums.  

At the end of the day, GSAP is a super-flexible JavaScript tool that isn't supposed to be married to any particular framework at all. It's pure JS that's not very opinionated  - sprinkle it wherever you want, in any framework or vanilla JS. We provide the files as ES Modules, UMD files, as well as plain minified files that work in every browser, so GSAP should be able to easily be plugged into any ecosystem whether that's build tools, directly in the browser, whatever. 

Creating framework-specific forums could fragment things quite a bit and increase the cognitive load on people wanting to post a question. They'd be faced with a decision of "which one of these 23 forums does my question belong in?" and what if it's mostly a GSAP-specific one but they happen to be using it in React? Would it go in the React forum or the general GSAP one? What if someone posts a Vue question in the main forums, are we going to constantly be moving things around, pestering people to put their question in the right place, etc.? It just feels like it could be creating more problems than it solves. 

That being said, I do think it'd be valuable to try to have some definitive posts related to getting GSAP working in certain frameworks/environments and perhaps if there are experts out there who are willing to step up and write such articles, we'd gladly put them on this site and drop them into the "learning" section. We have some other ideas we'll be working on later this year that may help as well, but it's too early to talk about that. 

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. Again, I see why you'd ask for something like that. Very reasonable, but I hope I've made it clear why it's not quite as easy as you might expect. Once you figure out the best way to handle things in Nuxt, would you be interested in authoring a definitive guide? 

• Like 6

I'm really happy with what Jack said.

I'm quite old school and my experience with those frameworks made me be so. They are hyped one moment and thrown away the next. Often they change directions from one version to the next and the documentation  isn't updated. And having one semi-stable framework building on an other one (that's not much better) makes maintenance poor horror and forces me to built stuff not the way I want but the only way I finally can get it to work ... until the next version that is. Well that's my little rant...

I really love Greensock for the reason that it is stand alone and it is so well maintained. And I really want the team to keep it that way.
I started using Greensock with Flash AS2 (some of you probably weren't born yet) and I really can say that the transition to AS3 and then to GSAP and now to GSAP3 really were done very professionally ! Thanks a lot to the team!

If my opinion counts I would like you to stay course and not spent valuable resources on frameworks that themselves aren't half as professional an time-tested as your great work. 

• Thanks 1

• Solution

Thanks all for your responses!

Jack, your elaborate prose is very informative and to the point. Many thanks.

BTW: @Ivo Dolenc (https://github.com/ivodolenc/nuxt-gsap-module) approach gets 5 stars from me. I would like to work on this for the club member plugins, but it goes beyond my head. I'm a Nuxt user, not a system analyst.

If I gave the impression of being dissatisfied, I want to rectify his here. I love Gsap and its community.

• Like 4