Search Community

Draggable to start video not working in Safari

Kholja test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by iDad5,

Hi Guys,

I want to start a video via a slider, which is built with draggable and inertia. This works in Chrome and Firefox.
Safari interprets the action after onThrowComplete as autoplay and prevents playing the video, due to it's autoplay-policy (except video is muted).

However it seems to be OK for Safari if I start the video with a ordinary button (at the bottom of the example).

Any idea how to solve this?

See the Pen wvoOWRQ by kholja (@kholja) on CodePen

34 minutes ago, iDad5 said:

You could try to start the video on mousedown (when the user starts dragging) and immediately pause it. After that you should be able to play it programmatically ever after ;-)

Thanks @iDad5 this works. Great idea, great forum :-)

Just 2 cents more, if you don’t want the poster frame to be replaced by the first frame of the actual video - which might happen under certain preloaded conditions, it might also work to start playing a hidden video or even audio. I’m not 100% sure, but my understanding is, that once ans media has started due to user interaction, the rest on that page is fair game for programming. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iDad5 said:

Just 2 cents more, if you don’t want the poster frame to be replaced by the first frame of the actual video - which might happen under certain preloaded conditions, it might also work to start playing a hidden video or even audio. I’m not 100% sure, but my understanding is, that once ans media has started due to user interaction, the rest on that page is fair game for programming. 

Good hint - thanks for pointing that out.

To finish this up I did a short test with an audio file. Indeed you can control all other media programmatically after the audio file played due to a click or mousedown event. Controlling the video was possible without any limitations.