Search Community

Installing Club GreenSock plugins as a developer without the Business Green purchase

kevchcm test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by kevchcm,

I have an issue, my company has the Club membership and I'm trying to install the bonus plugins it via NPM (they used to install it via .zip files but I don't want to do that)

So I followed the instructions

I added my token to the .npmrc file

Then I used

npm install gsap@npm:@gsap/member

After that I used

npm install gsap

But I still can't used the bonus plugins

I uninstall and installed multiple times

Am I missing something? 

I already check with my company and confirm we still have the membership active

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 13.09.00.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 13.14.23.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 13.14.14.png

Hey kevchcm. In order to get access to the Club GreenSock plugins on your account which doesn't have the Club GreenSock membership on it, they need to have your account as one of their registered developers. 

In order to do that, have the person whose account has the Business Green membership to go to the account dashboard and click "manage developers" (which opens up this URL). Then add your account as a registered developer. Note that only Business Green members have this ability because they are the only Club GreenSock membership that allows for multiple developers — the others are intended for individuals. 

Then you'll need to install using the token that your account has once you've been added as a registered developer. Also note that you'll be installing @gsap/business when installing.

• ZachSaucier changed the title to Installing Club GreenSock plugins as a developer without the Business Green purchase
19 minutes ago, ZachSaucier said:

Hey kevchcm. In order to get access to the Club GreenSock plugins on your account which doesn't have the Club GreenSock membership on it, they need to have your account as one of their registered developers. 

In order to do that, have the person whose account has the Business Green membership to go to the account dashboard and click "manage developers" (which opens up this URL). Then add your account as a registered developer. Note that only Business Green members have this ability because they are the only Club GreenSock membership that allows for multiple developers — the others are intended for individuals. 

Then you'll need to install using the token that your account has once you've been added as a registered developer. Also note that you'll be installing @gsap/business when installing.

But how does GSAP nows that my account doesn't have the  Club GreenSock? Isn't that the reason why I put the token of the account that has the membership on the .npmrc file?

I don't understand

I used the npm install gsap@npm:@gsap/member but I have this error

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 13.40.38.png

The private registry is available to anyone with an account on GreenSock.com. What you're installing with /members is the free version of GSAP + CustomEase (which comes just with signing up on GreenSock.com). 

In order to gain access to the Club GreenSock plugins, you either need to purchase a Club GreenSock membership on this account (which is not what you should do in this case) or have a member with a multi-developer Business Green membership add you as one of their registered developers (which is what you should do in this case). Does that make sense?

2 minutes ago, ZachSaucier said:

The private registry is available to anyone with an account on GreenSock.com. What you're installing with /members is the free version of GSAP + CustomEase (which comes just with signing up on GreenSock.com). 

In order to gain access to the Club GreenSock plugins, you either need to purchase a Club GreenSock membership on this account (which is not what you should do in this case) or have a member with a multi-developer Business Green membership add you as one of their registered developers (which is what you should do in this case). Does that make sense?

I'm sorry but I have a hard time understanding.

My company gave me a token, so from what I understand it's that if I have that token (which has the membership) I should be able to use it in my project. I don't want them to link my personal account, because I want to use the company account that's why I have the token.

So I don't understand how is GSAP checking my project or how does it know my personal account doesnt have the membership if I already put the token with the membership account.

6 minutes ago, kevchcm said:

My company gave me a token, so from what I understand it's that if I have that token (which has the membership) I should be able to use it in my project.

Ah, I understand now. So long as you're using their token it should work — just install from the business package instead (assuming the membership is a Business Green membership):

npm install gsap@npm:@gsap/business

All that the registry checks is the private key that you provide in the .npmrc file.

4 minutes ago, ZachSaucier said:

Ah, I understand now. So long as you're using their token it should work — just install from the business package instead (assuming the membership is a Business Green membership):

npm install gsap@npm:@gsap/business

All that the registry checks is the private key that you provide in the .npmrc file.

I keep getting this error using that command, I double check with company for the token number (I'll check another time just to be sure) but do you know if this error has to do with the token? or can it be something else I'm missing?

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 14.01.30.png

• Solution
22 hours ago, ZachSaucier said:

I think it would help if you shared the username of the account has the Club GreenSock membership. 

I just wanted to follow up on this, I did find the solution

on my company's account dashboard they had this command

npm install gsap@npm:@gsap/shockingly

Which is totally different from all of the tutorials, since I assume that install line was the same I never asked for it. 

21 hours ago, GreenSock said:

@kevchcm Your employer should probably add you as a developer on their account. It's easy - they just go to their account dashboard and click the "manage developers" button. That'll let you get your very own key too. 

Like I said, I don't want my company to add my personal account. 

I did add the solution in a reply

14 minutes ago, kevchcm said:

on my company's account dashboard they had this command

npm install gsap@npm:@gsap/shockingly

That means that your company has a Shockingly Green membership. In order to support multiple developers (like yourself and anyone else) they should either purchase multiple Shockingly Green memberships or upgrade to a Business Green membership which can support multiple developers (like a 2 Developer Business Green account). 

15 minutes ago, kevchcm said:

Which is totally different from all of the tutorials

The only part that's different is the last bit that declares which package it should obtain. Usually this line is generated for your account, but since you're trying to use a different account that part is different. 

1 minute ago, ZachSaucier said:

That means that your company has a Shockingly Green membership. In order to support multiple developers (like yourself and anyone else) they should either purchase multiple Shockingly Green memberships or upgrade to a Business Green membership which can support multiple developers (like a 2 Developer Business Green account). 

The only part that's different is the last bit that declares which package it should obtain. Usually this line is generated for your account, but since you're trying to use a different account that part is different. 

Got it! I'll let them know so we can upgrade. Thank you for the help!

12 minutes ago, kevchcm said:

Like I said, I don't want my company to add my personal account. 

I did add the solution in a reply

Okay, thanks for letting us know that you resolved it. Great!

Like Zach said, "Shockingly Green" memberships are only meant for individuals, not companies who share it with their developers (that's also why "Shockingly Green" members don't have a "manage developers" option on their account dashboard). Companies should get the proper "Business Green" membership which also comes with a special commercial license, plus they can select the exact number of developers they need. As you probably know, our entire business model relies on the honor system so we won't be chasing you or your employer about this - I just wanted to let you know. Sometimes people have no ill intention about violating the licensing terms - they just didn't realize that they needed a different license. 

Anyway, happy tweening!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1