Search Community

Changing the width of an SVG rect

volls test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by mvaneijgen,

I have a simple svg with a rect box inside. I want to change the width of this rect in such a way that it changes from the centre of the rect, like a scaleX would work with transform-origin center. Currently, reducing the width contracts it from the right side. I need to change with width in order to maintain fidelity otherwise I'd use scale. Is there a way to get this to work? Would I have to play around with the x attribute? Thanks.

See the Pen yLVaXpy?editors=1000 by ritwikvd (@ritwikvd) on CodePen

Is this what you are looking for?

See the Pen NWbRyGv by mvaneijgen (@mvaneijgen) on CodePen

I've removed with `width` and `height` from the SVG, add the `viewbox` and add `preserveAspectRatio="none"` to it. In the Rect i've set the stroke to `vector-effect="non-scaling-stroke"` so it keeps it original width. Then with GSAP I change the `width` of it.  

• Like 2

• Solution

I see you've updated your pen, it is much clearer now what you want to do, would be nice if you add the GSAP code you would think you would need, then we can see your thought process. 

This is the closes I can get 

See the Pen RwoGJmg by mvaneijgen (@mvaneijgen) on CodePen

Maybe you could explain what you are trying to do? Now we know only the end goal but if we know the context maybe there is an easier solution.

• Like 4