Search Community

utility function to get all actively animating objects?

mrkos67 test
Moderator Tag

Here's my situation: I'm producing an animated slideshow of images crossfading with each other, drawing onto a canvas. Since animating on a canvas necessitates a timer function or using the tick function, how do I know which images need to be animated at any given timer tick? 

Answering your original question, you can get the targets of a given tween by using .targets(). Getting all of the currently active tweens is a bit more complex but .getTweensOf() can be used, especially if you're wanting to get all of the active DOM elements. 

2 minutes ago, mrkos67 said:

Here's my situation: I'm producing an animated slideshow of images crossfading with each other, drawing onto a canvas. Since animating on a canvas necessitates a timer function or using the tick function, how do I know which images need to be animated at any given timer tick? 

That sounds more like something that you should set up in your code. But it's pretty hard to say without seeing a minimal demo of the situation.

Yeah, that would be highly inefficient to constantly ask GSAP "which targets are animating right now?" on every single tick. It'd be far better to structure your code to manage that in a different way. Like Zach said, it's very tough to offer advice without a minimal demo but examples are:

1. If you're animating the opacity of things, for example, then just loop through your Array of objects and skip rendering any that have opacity: 0
  2. Use onStart/onComplete callbacks to push the target(s) in/out of an "active" Array

There are other techniques as well, but hopefully this gives you some ideas. 

• Like 1

roger that. I had ideas similar to your points #1 and #2 about self-managing the active tweens/objects, but didn't know if there was a built in utility function already (that wasn't too inefficient).

Thanks for the help all, this'll get me started, and if i get something working, i'll post a quick pen. 

• Like 1