Search Community

"Smooth scrolling" on entire page with pinned elements.

existentialdread test
Moderator Tag

Building (entirely) from @Ihatetomatoes demo, I was just attempting to apply a similar smooth scrolling effect on a page with pinned elements, but adding pinning seems to create some issues with the positioning of the pinned elements. I'm hoping someone has some experience with this and can point me in the right direction.

See the Pen MWbgRjy by january1979 (@january1979) on CodePen

Hey existentialdread. Thanks for making a demo and for creating a new thread. 

For anything other than really basic things, this lightweight smooth scrolling approach probably isn't the way to go. If you need smooth scrolling I recommend using a more full smooth scrolling library. To use it with ScrollTrigger you should make use of .scrollerProxy(). We provide a few demos that use different smooth scrolling libraries in the scrollerProxy docs.

Here's an example with your code using Locomotive Scroll:

See the Pen wvowLbR?editors=0010 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

3 hours ago, ZachSaucier said:

Hey existentialdread. Thanks for making a demo and for creating a new thread. 

For anything other than really basic things, this lightweight smooth scrolling approach probably isn't the way to go. If you need smooth scrolling I recommend using a more full smooth scrolling library. To use it with ScrollTrigger you should make use of .scrollerProxy(). We provide a few demos that use different smooth scrolling libraries in the scrollerProxy docs.

Here's an example with your code using Locomotive Scroll:

Hey Zach, thanks for getting back to me. I was thinking that was going to be the case. Thanks for your time and help! ScrollTrigger is awesome!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Is there a reason we ought ought scrollerProxy and a dedicated smooth/momentum scroll library over the default scrub: 1 functionality? Blake's Codepen, attached below, seems to provide the functionality I'm looking for - will additional smoothscroll libraries not create a bigger performance hit?

See the Pen 89f1e24fbc30e59edbc186a4c961f35c by osublake (@osublake) on CodePen

It's totally fine it all you need it the smooth scrolling and it works for you. I haven't personally done a deep-dive into all the quirky stuff related to smooth scrolling on various devices but one thing that could definitely throw a curve ball at you is if you try to do pinning in Blake's example. You could set up a scrollerProxy() to sorta make it work, but in my quick tests it was still plagued by some jitters that were likely related to the fact that modern browser handle scrolling on a totally different thread that is NOT synchronized with the main JS thread. 

But again, if it works well for you and you don't need advanced stuff, go for it!

Okay, I spent some time refining that demo and creating a helper function that should make this a lot easier for you and it does seem to integrate fine with pinning once I figured out that the jittery behavior was due to the fact that the ScrollTrigger wasn't being updated each time the fake smooth-scrolling tween was moving the content. 

So here's a new CodePen that demonstrates what's possible: 

See the Pen gOgWELo?editors=0010 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

Does that help? 

• Like 4

Thanks so much @GreenSock! Your codepen indeed demonstrates almost exactly what I'd want - only I'd change out the "top top" for "center center."

Unfortunately - sorry for the little delay in reply, haven't had time to test it out on my end till now - I'm definitely getting stuck porting this to React. Here's my latest sandbox (the code is almost exactly the same as in your codepen.)

For some reason I have no difficulty at all pretty much getting horizontal smooth scroll with scrubbing and snapping to work. (The final section in this sandbox). But I've had all kinds of weird problems trying to get something like your linked-to codepen to play nice in React. 

I'll triple check the common scroll trigger mistakes page and search around for potentially other React x vertical ScrollTrigger posts in the forum, spend some more time in my codesandbox too, but I'd really appreciate any further help getting something like your codepen off the ground in React.

Yeah I'm just so perplexed as to why this isn't working. Here is another sandbox that to my understanding is close to virtually identical to the codepen below. Can't seem to get any vertical smooth scroll/scrubbing working in React. Horizontal works fine, but not vertical.

See the Pen 89f1e24fbc30e59edbc186a4c961f35c by osublake (@osublake) on CodePen

Thanks, @OSUblake - I was just copying the code from the codepens, though, which all had overflow: hidden;
 and position: fixed;  set for the outer most div, and   position: absolute;  and  overflow: hidden; for the immediate child div. 

Is there something that codepen does implicitly that I'm missing? In any case, Jack's example is virtually exactly what I'm going for. Are there any examples even remotely like that out there in React? I've looked all over the forums for similar issues raised or demos exhibited, but haven't found any. For whatever reason I can manage horizontal scrollTriggers just fine, but can't manage vertical ones in React.

Thanks! I definitely feel much saner being able to get any kind of vertical smooth scrolling that doesn't screw up layout working for sure. Now it just remains to get something like what Jack linked to in his last message. I think I should be able to manage, will try a little later in the day tomorrow when I'm more rested and have time etc. Thanks again!

Really anxious to get this working and knowing I'd sleep better if I do - but man is this disheartening. One step forward, two back. Here's my latest sandbox aiming for a smooth-scrollified version of this, which is very similar to the codepen Jack linked to in his last post here.

I don't understand why I have two scrollbars and get all kinds of glitching when his codepen is smooth-sailing, with very little if any meaningful discrepancies between our code. 

And whoever can help, totally do so at your leisure. I'll sleep with or without this working, just I haven't been so mystified struggling to get something so seemingly simple to work like this in a while.

Okay, so this sandbox is the closest I've managed to get. 

As you can see, there is an extra scrollbar that doesn't exist in @GreenSock's codepen (I think codesandbox and codepen have different mechanics - how each relates to window or root or something - yet another speedbump in learning Greensock in the context of React unfortunately).

If you inspect the HTML, and highlight the div with the class of "inner" and uncheck "overflow: visible scroll" it works exactly as expected - just as Jack's codepen does above

Would you maybe be able to take a quick look at this, @Rodrigo? I'd really appreciate any help on this. I see that you're one of the React-savier GSAP-ers in these parts. Totally at your leisure. It's just frustrating feeling like I'm so close yet so far. GSAP is way more powerful and performant than the animation libraries I'm used to (Framer Motion, React Spring), but the API is a lot harder for me to parse. 

Ahhh thank you so much @akapowl. And similar to floats, !important I guess is something that I've always either been encouraged not to use to the point of it slipping from my CSS vocabulary or just haven't encountered much of a need for it with the greater flexibility updates to the spec have brought. 

Works like a dream here though. Thanks again.

• Like 2

Hm. Spoke too soon, or partially. 

Is there any way of achieving this without explicitly setting the height in CSS? In real world projects - particularly for clients where they have control over the content of pages - how can I proceed with this effect in situations where I can't explicitly say "height: 500vh"? 

6 hours ago, granularclouds said:

Is there any way of achieving this without explicitly setting the height in CSS?

Well, that's a matter of setup. For it to work that way, you'd first have to make sure you have scrollable space at all - meaning position absolute would not be the tool of choice for your boxes. Here's a fork of your demo with the boxes positioned relative and changes made to their styling (margin-top instead of top for positioning) and their ScrollTriggers accordingly.

https://codesandbox.io/s/cq4tg

• Like 4

Interesting, thanks so much @akapowl. Idiosyncrasies and a variety of ways of accomplishing similar things is very often the sign of a potent tool, even if that results in some pitfalls and challenges while getting going (Framer Motion, for example, is significantly easier for me to grasp and utilize without practically any confusion, but it's quite limited, which is largely why I've landed here). Still definitely struggling to understand scrollTrigger. Hope it comes naturally by just messing around with it over time...

• 1 year later...

Just a frustration rant here: 
No matter what I do I can't get scrolltrigger pinning to work correctly when using any - and I've tried a LOT of them - scroll smoothing libraries(locomotive, smooth-scrollbar, asscroll (lol) ) , including the gsap smooth scroll plugin.  No matter what my pinned elements do the 'jump' as they are assigned to position:fixed and do not accurately position the element.  After trying all the demos with the scrollerproxy methods I've had 0 success with the pinning.   Not looking for any help here just letting you know I'm moving on from the smooth scroll as I have a project with a lot of pinning so I have to choose being able to pin over smooth scroll.     Great products just looking for that extra functionality to make your smoothscroll plugin work correctly with pinning.     Maybe in a future release!   

Hey @Eric Dyken. Very sorry to hear about the frustration! I'm confused about what problem exactly that you're running into and I'd LOVE to help iron out any issues with ScrollSmoother for sure. It's just super difficult to do without a minimal demo or more information about what you're describing. I've done lots of pinning with ScrollSmoother with outstanding results, so I'm sure I must be missing something with perhaps an edge case you're dealing with? Again, it'd be super amazingly fantabulous if you could provide a minimal demo so we can work together to make ScrollSmoother better. 

Help us...help you? 

Thanks but like I said, not interested in help just need you to know I was having same issue as OP in this thread, and every scrollerproxy demo I tried did not fix it. They all had the same effect of the pinned item 'jumping' like int OP's post.   I spent all last night and this morning attempting all the libraries and all the scrollerproxy demos. I'm done.    So if the pinning ever works with smoothscroll without using a 3rd party library in a future release I'll circle back and try then.  Thanks for your reply and concern.

• Like 1