Search Community

Any way to keep gsap running at 60fps while mobile device is in low power mode?

Ilja test
Moderator Tag

I assume that due to gsap using requestAnimationFrame its fps gets dropped to like 30fps when mobile device is in low power mode. I wanted to ask if there are mechanisms that would allow to bypass this and keep ticker running at 60fps in these cases? 

Yep, I totally agree with Zach. And I'm not aware of any way to force the browser to behave differently and not allow it to honor the device's throttling down of requestAnimationFrame. If there were, every web developer would probably do it, and it'd render the "feature" pointless :)

What's annoying is that (at least in some versions of iOS) Safari throttles things that are inside an iframe until the user interacts with any content in that iframe. So even though the device may not be in "power saving" mode, there are some conditions where the browser forces a throttling of screen refreshes/repaints. 

• Like 1

I understand that, but in general is there something in gsap that allows to bypass this? I am using gsap to run animations and some scroll behaviour in an ios based game built with pixi js. Being a game it doesn't feel that nice running at 30fps compared to native games that remain at 60fps. The only work around I have at the moment is playing this off as a feature and informing user that fps is capped to 30 in low power mode, but ideally it would be great to keep it 60.

16 minutes ago, Ilja said:

I understand that, but in general is there something in gsap that allows to bypass this?

As I mentioned earlier, no, there is no way I'm aware of to do that. If there were, every web developer would probably do it, and it'd render the battery-saving functionality pointless.

• Like 1