Search Community

Timeline onComplete or .then()

Romann test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by Carl,

Hi everyone, 

Have a quick question,  I have a timeline, i am using this timeline multiple times in my project to animate text. In one instance i want to call a function at the end of timeline animation.  I am able to use then() like this:

this.tl.timeScale(1).reverse(1).then(this.uiUpdater);

It works, but i have to pass some parameters for my "this.uiUpdate" function, and if i do so like this: .then(this.uiUpdater(curui,this.projects) this function executes immediately without waiting for the timeline to complete. I was thinking about somehow eliminating the need for passing parameters but got another problem, i am loosing access to "this" inside my callback function (this.uiUpdater) so i am not able to access needed parameters.

I know i can use onComplete constructor but the problem is if i apply it on the timeline it is going to execute every time i use this timeline, so i need somehow to execute it only when needed

onComplete: this.uiUpdater,
onCompleteParams:[curui,this.projects],

What would be the best approach to this problem ? Any other solutions possible ? 

Ideally  - .then() approach works great for me only if i can somehow pass needed parameters.

Thank you ! and sorry no codepen example yet, project is kind of big,  if my question is unclear, i will go ahead and build simplified  version for codepen. 

Glad to hear eventCallbacks() worked for you. FYI, this is just a JavaScript thing: 

// invokes immediately uiUpdater() and the RESULT is fed to then(): 
.then(this.uiUpdater(curui,this.projects));

// wrap it in a function declaration to wait:
.then(() => this.uiUpdater(curui,this.projects));

But I'm not sure if you're mutating curui and this.projects between those calls; if so, you'd need to handle it a bit differently. Just ask if you need help with that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenSock said:

Glad to hear eventCallbacks() worked for you. FYI, this is just a JavaScript thing: 

// invokes immediately uiUpdater() and the RESULT is fed to then(): 
.then(this.uiUpdater(curui,this.projects));

// wrap it in a function declaration to wait:
.then(() => this.uiUpdater(curui,this.projects));

But I'm not sure if you're mutating curui and this.projects between those calls; if so, you'd need to handle it a bit differently. Just ask if you need help with that. 

Thank you for this solution, this one works even better because now i have access to "this" inside my callback function and with eventCallback "this" returned undefined.