Search Community

Text shadow property not animated

brcxyz test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by akapowl,

Hello everyone, newbie here. 

I'm in the process of changing all of the animations I'd done for my portfolio website from vanilla CSS to GSAP and I'm having some trouble with these text shadows.

What I am trying to accomplish is have multiple stacked text shadows seamlessly fan out, following the translation of a bit of text and create a 3D kind of effect (if I'm not making any sense, check out https://animista.net/play/text/shadow-pop/text-shadow-pop-bl).

What's actually happening is, well, the text shadows are not animating at all and I can't seem to figure out why. 

Thanks in advance for any help, and great platform by the way!

See the Pen eYdrNbB by brcxyz (@brcxyz) on CodePen

Last time I checked a few years ago, support wasn't great for hex codes with alpha. Now it's pretty good but still doesn't have complete support on mobile and will never be supported in any IE version. We'll consider whether or not it's worth adding support for it but it might be a little while before we get around to it because we're pretty focused on a couple of more important things right now. Until then, stick with animating the opacity, autoAlpha, or using rgba.

• Like 2

I don't think this is enough to open a new topic so I'll just add on to this.

As you can probably tell, stacking shadows underneath the text in the beginning produces a thin (but very visible on a contrast-y background) outline effect. In vanilla CSS, I fixed this by having all of the shadows transparent initially, then making them opaque in the first frame of the animation. What would be an elegant solution to this in GSAP?