Search Community

GSAP functions are not executed in iOS app

chris_hengst test
Moderator Tag

Hi there! 

There's a weird issue in my iOS app, which uses a lot of GSAP animations. I'm not pretty sure if it definitely has something to do with GSAP itself, but because I'm pretty clueless at the moment, I thought I'd give it a shot.

About the issue: As far as I could trace it down, all GSAP functions are not executed anymore. Other JavaScript functions work well. The app has an initial "alpha" and "scale" transition between the Splashscreen and the app itself, which uses GSAP. As this function is not executed, the user only sees a blank screen.

I can log the functions like console.log(TweenMax.to). They are not undefined. They are present but are not executed. No animations, no onUpdate or onComplete callbacks, etc., and no JS errors in the console. Does anybody have a clue what could prevent them from being executed?

More technical background information: The app is mainly based on CapacitorJS (2.4.4), VueJS (2.5.17), and GSAP (1.20.4 => I know it's quite outdated, but it worked very stable until now). 

This issue occurs quite rarely but is a pretty persistent error once it occurs. When I've experienced it, the only solution to get rid of it was to completely remove the app from my phone and then reinstall it. Also, in my case, the app crashed beforehand. The user interface was not reactive anymore, which was probably a JavaScript error, maybe caused by GSAP. I was not able find that out.

At the moment, I do not have the issue on my device, and I don't know how to reproduce it, but I get feedback about this from users from time to time. 

I am aware that this is a very vague basis to find the error, but I still wanted to give it a try. 

Hey Chris. It's pretty hard for us to debug blindly, especially when it's some unfamiliar setup of an iOS app. I'm guessing it's a web-based app?

3 hours ago, chris_hengst said:

This issue occurs quite rarely but is a pretty persistent error once it occurs. When I've experienced it, the only solution to get rid of it was to completely remove the app from my phone and then reinstall it.

To me that sounds like there's some configuration or logical issue that is due to some code that you implemented, not anything related to GSAP itself.

Yes, I know. Sorry for the fuzzy details. As I said, I can't even reproduce it myself. But I want to be prepared in case the problem occurs again, or I get it reported more often by other users. Anyway, yes, the app is web-based - a WKWebView containing a Vue app. 

I already thought that it had nothing to do with GSAP itself. It's just odd that all other JS functions are executed, except for GSAP functions. I don't have an explanation for this. Also, the fact that I have to remove the app from my device to get it to work again is weird.

I thought maybe you guys have an idea (in general, not necessarily GSAP related) what could prevent the Webview from executing the code. I've never experienced anything like this before, and as I said, I am quite clueless about the issue 😬