Search Community

Licensing question for my use case

rohan-kapur test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by ZachSaucier,

Hey everyone, huge fan of the library so far. I am planning to sell premade websites to people and was wondering how the GSAP license fits into this scenario. To be more clear, I will be building the websites beforehand and be selling them directly to clients I meet in real life or acquire via internet ads. There is no recurring fee or "membership charge" for the service im building. Just pay once, and the website code is yours to do with as you please. Am I going to require a license for this?  Thanks so much!

EDIT 1: To be even more clear, the websites are premade. This is to say that the clients will not be able to make edits to the website code unless they buy the website from me. Not sure how much that info matters but I thought i'd put it in anyway. 

1 minute ago, ZachSaucier said:

Hey Rohan and welcome to the GreenSock forums.

Are you selling the same website templates to clients (or very similar, just slightly customized to each)? Or creating a whole new website for each client?

The websites being sold are the exact same. The intent is that the websites themselves are going to be templates with a bunch of random stock photos and lorem ipsum text. It is up to the people who buy these websites to customize them. 

To be clear, yes the actual product being sold to all clients will be the same (if two or more purchase the same website, which obviously should happen) but it is up to the clients to edit the actual product. I do no editing on my end before selling it.

4 minutes ago, rohan-kapur said:

The websites being sold are the exact same. The intent is that the websites themselves are going to be templates with a bunch of random stock photos and lorem ipsum text. It is up to the people who buy these websites to customize them. 

To be clear, yes the actual product being sold to all clients will be the same (if two or more purchase the same website, which obviously should happen) but it is up to the clients to edit the actual product. I do no editing on my end before selling it.

EDIT #1: The clients probably aren't mean to edit the animations, just the photos and text

• Solution
3 minutes ago, rohan-kapur said:

Since you're using GSAP in a product that you're selling to multiple people, that requires a commercial license that comes with our Business Green membership. You should keep this membership active for as long as you're selling a product that uses GSAP. Keep in mind that you can sell an unlimited  number of products that use GSAP with the same membership so if you have multiple themes you don't have to have multiple licenses. Also, you gain access to all Club GreenSock plugins!

Keep in mind that your membership only covers the work that you do. So if your clients need to edit any GSAP-related code they should get their own Club GreenSock membership. We ask that you convey this information to your clients :) 

Make sense?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ZachSaucier said:

Since you're using GSAP in a product that you're selling to multiple people, that requires a commercial license that comes with our Business Green membership. You should keep this membership active for as long as you're selling a product that uses GSAP. Keep in mind that you can sell an unlimited  number of products that use GSAP with the same membership so if you have multiple themes you don't have to have multiple licenses. Also, you gain access to all Club GreenSock plugins!

Keep in mind that your membership only covers the work that you do. So if your clients need to edit any GSAP-related code they should get their own Club GreenSock membership. We ask that you convey this information to your clients :) 

Make sense?

Yup this is crystal clear. I will be purchasing a subscription soon and possibly rework the way i distribute the product so that it isn't possible for them to edit the gsap code. Thank you for the fast reply.

• Like 1