Search Community

Problem with Safari / disappearance of the video

Jelena test
Moderator Tag

I understand that it's difficult to create a minimal demo, but that's what needs to happen if you'd like our help. Unfortunately we don't have the capacity to debug your project for free which is why you need to create a minimal demo of your situation for us to take a look :) If you create a good, minimal demo there's a high chance that you'll be able to figure out the issue yourself! 

Thanks for putting together a CodePen. This looks like it has nothing to do with GSAP/ScrollTrigger: 

• Safari is reporting the video.duration as 37.24333333333333. Try setting video.currentTime to that directly and you'll see it go black. There's your problem. Maybe round down to the nearest 10th of a second? 
  • Chrome isn't even firing off that "loadedmetadata" event, thus it's never even setting up the video scrubber because you're doing that in your event handler. 

Does that clear things up? 

• Like 1

Hmm, yes. Weird.

Thanks for the explanation.

One more question.

Whether it supports EDGE browser doesn't look very good and also doesn't smooth on mobile phones? Does that have anything to do with the plugin?

I have tried an animation like this before and I never had a smooth result (didn't use ScrollTrigger yet back then) but I believe that an image-sequence will be much smoother than manipulating the video timeline, and the browser support will probably be much better :) Apple does it with an image sequence as well. I found two demos on the forum:

See the Pen 2152a28cffe2c2c0cca8a3e47f7b21c6?editors=0010 by osublake (@osublake) on CodePen

See the Pen mdVEpKK by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

• Like 3