Search Community

Locomotive Scroll Update

Shehzad Asif test
Moderator Tag

Hi Zach,

This is just an update for locomotive scroll working with gsap specifically for touch screen and pinning. If you find it valuable pls update it on scroller proxy page.

Before update:

After update:

See the Pen dypyRoQ by ShehzadAsif (@ShehzadAsif) on CodePen

To activate smooth on touch screen:

This code is required in the locomotive object

// for tablet smooth
  tablet: { smooth: true }

// for mobile
  smartphone: { smooth: true }

Following line is no more required to work pinning on touch screen

/* pinType: document.querySelector(".smooth-scroll").style.transform
    ? "transform"
    : "fixed"*/

After the update of 4.0.4 recently, now scroll is much smoother then before. Why not have a look at both demos above and feel the difference.

Regards,

Shehzad Asif 

See the Pen 1dc38ca14811bc76e25c4b8c686b653d by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

• Like 1

Thanks @Shehzad.

On desktop, it acts rather strangely/glitchy at times. Sometimes it's okay, but I had a hard time grabbing the scrubber or it'd jump after releasing or it wouldn't keep up with my mouse or didn't scroll inside the iframe (the parent page scrolled instead even if the mouse was over that iframe), etc. Not absolutely horrible, but it felt weird as a user. It definitely didn't feel natural. Is that due to the LocomotiveScroll update? 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 11/26/2020 at 6:45 PM, Shehzad Asif said:

Hi Zach,

This is just an update for locomotive scroll working with gsap specifically for touch screen and pinning. If you find it valuable pls update it on scroller proxy page.

Before update:

After update:

To activate smooth on touch screen:

This code is required in the locomotive object

// for tablet smooth
  tablet: { smooth: true }

// for mobile
  smartphone: { smooth: true }

Following line is no more required to work pinning on touch screen

/* pinType: document.querySelector(".smooth-scroll").style.transform
    ? "transform"
    : "fixed"*/

After the update of 4.0.4 recently, now scroll is much smoother then before. Why not have a look at both demos above and feel the difference.

Regards,

Shehzad Asif 

So I added smartphone and tablet smooth true, but It doesn't work for me for some reason. (I also commented out the gsap pin which should be used when mobile/tablet smooth is disabled). 

It doesn't add smooth class to my HTML element either. Im not getting any errors, really werid

8 hours ago, artyor said:

So I added smartphone and tablet smooth true, but It doesn't work for me for some reason. (I also commented out the gsap pin which should be used when mobile/tablet smooth is disabled). 

It doesn't add smooth class to my HTML element either. Im not getting any errors, really werid

This sounds more like a LocomotiveScroll question, but that's a 3rd party tool that we're not really familiar with. You might want to contact the author or post your question in the Github issues section on that repo. 

We'd be happy to answer any questions about GreenSock products - just please provide a minimal demo and we'd be glad to take a peek.