Search Community

Webpack production build very very slow

nolafs test
Moderator Tag

Hi,

I am having issues with production builds using ScrollTrigger. The animation is smooth as butter under development build but when all minimised it is choppy and unusable. The site uses a couple of angular web-component which compile their own version of ScrollTrigger which seem to work fine. Something seem to go wrong when minifying and combining the page js files.

It beats me why Angular production compile doesn't have the problem. Anything tricks I might missed when setting up my webpack production build?

Cheers

Olaf   

Hey Olaf. This sounds like an issue with your environment or in webpack. I encourage you to start from nothing and include the bare minimum in your webpack build and then see if the issue still exists. If it does, then contact whoever maintains webpack about the issue. If it doesn't, then it's something with your build and you'll need to debug and figure out whatever it is. 

If you find that it's an issue in GSAP/ScrollTrigger please let us know but I'm betting it's not. 

Yeah, I start turning off some stuff including the smooth scroller. That did improve the animation but it still not 100% smooth and jumpy at times. It seems to perform just a bit better in Safari too. Very frustrating, spend days on my local build to optimise the animation and now the production build just won't work.  

On thing I did notice, when I import

import { ScrollTrigger } from 'gsap/dist/ScrollTrigger';

I get good performance on my development but 

import { ScrollTrigger } from 'gsap/ScrollTrigger';

Impossible jumpy and choppy animation but on my Angular webcomponent, complete the other way around. 

As I am using webpack, the modules should be the correct import but it behaves terrible. Is seems it is unable to update when scrolling. It is jumpy and choppy.  The animation is super simple. 

```

gsap.utils.toArray(".parallax").forEach(layer => {
   const tl = gsap.timeline({
    scrollTrigger: {
     trigger: layer,
     start: "top top",
     end: "bottom top",
     scrub: true,
     markers: false
    }
   });

const depth = layer.dataset.depth;
   const movement = -(layer.offsetHeight * depth)
   tl.to($(layer).find('.imageWrapper'), {y: movement, ease: "none"}, 0)
  });

```