Search Community

GSAP - Next JS - useRef()

Jacot Sylvain test
Moderator Tag

Hello guys !
How are today ?
I wanted to try gsap with next.js but I'm struggling with useRef() hook. I try to put a ref on my <Bullet/> component (imported functional component) but I get this console error.
I don't get how to use React.createRef() for an imported component or am I doing wrong with useRef ?

p-s: I also tried firstbullet.current and firstbullet.current.focus into gsap function
p-s: the same gsap function is working great on a simple div with a useRef (el => (div = el).

Thank you so much ! Have a nice day.

Capture d’écran 2020-10-25 à 07.19.33.png

Capture d’écran 2020-10-25 à 07.24.47.png

Hi and welcome to the GreenSock forums.

Yeah, basically the warning is telling you the problem and the solution. Refs basically return the rendering result of a specific JSX element, normally an HTML tag such as <div>, <p>, <li>, etc., which in those cases is a DOM node. In your case you're using ref on an actual React component, therefore the return is a React component, resulting in that warning and the fact that GSAP, while it can use and tween a property in the component (GSAP basically updates a property in any JS object you pass as target and a React component is an object), is not affecting an actual DOM node.

Using Forwarding Refs is the best option in this case. Here is a simple example of using it with GSAP:

https://codesandbox.io/s/react-hover-forward-ref-ybtgs

If you check the file Twitter.js you'll see how it actually works, which is quite simple.

Now given that you're also passing the event handlers, I don't see the need to keep all that logic in the parent component, that could easily be in the <Bullet /> component as well so you won't have to use forward refs.

Happy Tweening!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1