Search Community

Timeline skips to last step

she codes test
Moderator Tag

Go to solution Solved by she codes,

Hi there.

I created a timeline and I am facing a weird issue - the timeline directly skips to last step. Whichever step I move to last position, it will only animate/perform that last step.

My Codepen reference works perfectly and does not show the issue I am facing. However, I wasted so many hours on this, so I decided to share and ask for help/ideas.

Does anyone have any idea what would make a timeline jump directly to last step? Or is there something wrong with the way I built the timeline?

You need to click on the dot to see the animation.

See the Pen GRqqPZj by she_codes_ (@she_codes_) on CodePen

Hey she codes and welcome to the GreenSock forums.

It's really hard to debug blindly. Can you please try to recreate the issue that you're facing? Try stripping out things in your actual project until you get to the bare minimum that recreates the issue.

My only guess at what it could be is that the progress of your animation is changed somehow before it is played.

• Like 1

• Solution

Hi Zach, Thanks for the reply.

I stripped out everything and was finally able to pinpoint the issue to a gsap default setting of `overwrite: true`.

The docs say:

If true, all tweens of the same targets will be killed immediately regardless of what properties they affect. If "auto", when the tween renders for the first time it hunt down any conflicts in active animations (animating the same properties of the same targets) and kill only those parts of the other tweens. Non-conflicting parts remain intact. If false, no overwriting strategies will be employed. Default: false.

Not really sure I understand how this applies to my case, but anyway, I'm glad I finally figured this out. Thank you for the suggestion.