Search Community

LoaderMax new features & bug in demo

scotbord test
Moderator Tag

Hello,

[bUG in demo]

When loading elements in the demo, and when I prioritize one, the others seem to go back to 0% instead of where they stopped.

[New features]

I would like a feature to dispatch events when several conditions are met. For instance, I want to load 2 files at the same time, but start processing data when both these files are loaded.

Therefore I need to know when this is true.

Thank you

[bUG in demo]

When loading elements in the demo, and when I prioritize one, the others seem to go back to 0% instead of where they stopped.

Nope, that's not a bug. That's exactly how it is supposed to work. In Flash, Loaders cannot actually pause and resume flawlessly, keeping the partially-loaded contents in memory. The main benefit of pause()/resume() is for a queue of loaders. It basically keeps track of the position in the queue at which it was loading things. Again, this isn't a bug/limitation of LoaderMax - it's a Flash thing.

[New features]

I would like a feature to dispatch events when several conditions are met. For instance, I want to load 2 files at the same time, but start processing data when both these files are loaded.

Therefore I need to know when this is true.

That's the beauty of being able to nest LoaderMax instances. You can just group your two loaders into a LoaderMax and use an onComplete on that LoaderMax. Go right ahead and put that LoaderMax instance into another LoaderMax too with other loaders in the queue. Nest as deeply as you want.

• 3 weeks later...
Nope, that's not a bug. That's exactly how it is supposed to work. In Flash, Loaders cannot actually pause and resume flawlessly, keeping the partially-loaded contents in memory. The main benefit of pause()/resume() is for a queue of loaders. It basically keeps track of the position in the queue at which it was loading things. Again, this isn't a bug/limitation of LoaderMax - it's a Flash thing.

I used bulk-loader and in it's docs it is written:

"Depending on the environment the player is running, resumed items will be able to use partialy downloaded content."

I don't know how they do it but it actually works. And I don't know what environment it depends on?

I don't know how they do it but it actually works. And I don't know what environment it depends on?

Well, I suppose the same thing could be said for LoaderMax stuff, but I don't like to promote the partial-download resume functionality since it's not something that should be relied upon. If you find something that you think BulkLoader is doing in terms of loading stuff faster/better, just let me know. Others have reported that LoaderMax is faster, though (I haven't really run any tests myself).

Oh, and by the way, I prioritize clean garbage collection and minimal memory issues over partial-download resumes because there are several things related to Adobe's Loader and NetStream classes that are buggy and can hinder proper garbage collection, so I implement workarounds in LoaderMax to avoid those as much as possible. One of those workarounds is flushing Loader instances in partial downloads of SWFs or images (and when unloading content).