Search Community

Should I use GSAP?

Jfirestorm44 test
Moderator Tag

Hello all. I am curious if this tool would be good for me. 

First  off my background in html/css started in April this year. Over the last two weeks I have started to learn js but specifically THREE.js as I enjoy 3D animation. I have never done it before but got hooked with doing css animations. I only picked this up as a hobby, my line of work has nothing to do with the internet. 

I have read many good reviews on gsap and have seen some amazing Codepens. I guess what I would like recommendations on is whether or not I should stick with the native THREE.js animation functions or use gsap. 

If I do use the free version of gsap can it be installed and used offline or must I use the cdnjs link? I need to be able to use it offline as I work for months at a time without internet access. 

Aside from the few plugins I’d be missing can I still do advanced animations like making characters run, jump, climb etc? (Not that I’m at that level yet)

Thanks in advance!

Hi! You can use Threejs animation, you can use Threejs with gsap animation, you can use Pixijs with gsap animation Its your choise. With gsap you can animate almost any value or property 

gsap is free (only if you want to use club plugins you need to pay) you can use with CDN or download zip localy, NPM... as you wish https://greensock.com/docs/v3/Installation BUT if you use in games, for example - you need Business licensing Check this page 

Our paid license is only necessary in projects that you sell to multiple end users. 

9 hours ago, Jfirestorm44 said:

If I do use the free version of gsap can it be installed and used offline or must I use the cdnjs link? I need to be able to use it offline as I work for months at a time without internet access. 

• Like 2

Hey Jfirestorm44 and welcome to the GreenSock forums.

14 hours ago, Jfirestorm44 said:

If I do use the free version of gsap can it be installed and used offline or must I use the cdnjs link?

Definitely. The easiest way to do so is to download GSAP from the GSAP installation page.

14 hours ago, Jfirestorm44 said:

can I still do advanced animations like making characters run, jump, climb etc?

Yep! GSAP can animate anything that JavaScript can touch. With that being said, I want to be clear that GSAP doesn't provide pre-built functions for creating those particular animation effects. GSAP is mostly focused on animating values. Making those values apply to your objects to do the things that you want is up to you :) 

4 hours ago, Nekiy2 said:

BUT if you use in games, for example - you need Business licensing Check this page 

Our paid license is only necessary in projects that you sell to multiple end users. 

To clarify this statement, you need a commercial license if you are selling a game that you made to multiple end users. If you create a game with the free version of GSAP and don't sell it then you don't need the commercial license. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hi @TeMailman and welcome to the GreenSock forums!

Thanks for reaching out about your specific licensing situation.

I'll send this to @GreenSock so He can clarify it more, but my understanding is that if the game doesn't use GSAP and the usage of the intended website is free (meaning there is no paid registration or access to specific areas of the website) it should be OK. A license is required when access or usage to a product that uses GSAP has a payment/fee associated with it.

But as I mentioned, please wait until we hear from Jack himself about this in case I missed something.

Happy Tweening!

Right, if you're only using GSAP in a marketing web site and there is no money being charged for any part of the site whatsoever (or anything that uses GSAP), and the Unreal Engine game doesn't use GSAP at all, that'd qualify under the standard "no charge" license to use the core tools (no bonus plugins of course which are Club GreenSock members-only). 

More info: 

https://greensock.com/licensing

Does that answer your question?