Search Community

ScrollTrigger with smoothScroll

Ahmed Elabbasy test
Moderator Tag

I'm not a React guy, but it looks to me like you've got several problems: 

1. You didn't set the "scroller" property of your ScrollTrigger to the one that you set up for .scrollerProxy(). 
  2. Your start/end values are incoherent. You had start: "top top",  end: "bottom bottom" which means that you want it to start when the top of your element hits the top of the screen, and then end when the bottom of that same element hits the bottom of the screen. But when the top hits the top, the bottom has already gone way past the bottom. I think perhaps you meant start: "bottom bottom", end: "top top"
  3. You're using y: "25%" instead of yPercent: -25 (minor - the other way would work most of the time anyway but I figured I'd mention it as a best practice)
ScrollTrigger.create({
  id: "Scroller",
  trigger: ".hi",
  start: "bottom bottom",
  end: "top top",
  animation: test,
  scroller: ".content-scroll",
  scrub: true
});

Does that help? 

• Like 1

That sounds like it must be a React thing, where perhaps it's removing the element that ScrollTrigger is looking at and re-rendering the DOM. Again, I'm not a React guy so I'm not sure how you're expected to pass the correct "scroller" reference instead of just selector text like ".content-scroll". Perhaps @Rodrigo or @elegantseagulls has a suggestion. 

Hi,

To be completely honest I haven't done pretty much anything with ScrollTrigger so I'm totally out of my element here. After a quick glance at the API docs I tried this:

ScrollTrigger.create({
  id: "Scroller",
  trigger: ".hi",
  start: "bottom bottom",
  end: "top top",
  animation: test,
  // scroller: ".content-scroll",
  scroller: scrollersm.current,
  scrub: true,
  onUpdate() {
    console.log("scroll update");
  },
});

Which of course didn't worked.

For the React part of your code I see you're wrapping everything and you're passing the reference as a prop to the child component, that's why I tried scrollersm.current, there is no need to use a regular selector (".content-scroll") if you're passing a ref of the actual DOM element, is redundant. The onUpdate callback was never called, so there is definitely nothing happening. What really freaked me out is the fact that if you resize the browser the <p> tag actually gets transformed :huh:.

Have you tried something like this, but without React, just a simple vanilla JS sample using another element as proxy. I don't see that you're setting a proxy for the scroll trigger plugin. Hopefully @elegantseagulls can offer more assistance with this.

Happy Tweening!!!

• Like 2

https://codesandbox.io/s/proud-pine-y523d?file=/src/test.jsx

Take a look here, it works well, but this may affect the performance. This does not return a new component, but I don’t know what is the difference.

in the image below this hoc pattern when i pass a ref as prop 

This passes the right dom,But this does not affect scrolltrigger

ref.png

Hey, good to see that you got it working.

1 hour ago, Ahmed Elabbasy said:

Take a look here, it works well, but this may affect the performance.

Mhh... I don't see why performance could be an issue with this setup; Care to explain why you think it could?

Happy Tweening!!!

For example, if I own a picture that moves with the scroll
I will not be able to place the animation inside its component, for example if I want to use the image in 4 places then I will write the same animation every time. Measure against this, each component should write its own animation inside the wrapped component

note: if i pass a ref like this to component who need to make scrolltrigger animation

It ends up happening that this will only work when you change the browser size

<Scroller ref={scrollRef}> // this wrapper component with smooth scroll and scrollTrigger setUp
      <Header scroller={scrollRef} /> // component need to animate in scroll

</Scroller>

3 hours ago, Ahmed Elabbasy said:

I will lose the ability to reuse the component because each component has to be located inside the file that passes the reference

eventually get a loop that will repeat the same component and animation And the size of one component will get bigger

Mhh... Have you measured such behaviour with the performance tool in dev-tools or the profiler in react dev-tools? It seems more annoying than anything, but keep in mind that a high order component is just a function, so everytime you invoke that function the resulting component (with it's children) is returned to the DOM and all the code inside is executed as well.

If I was you I'd be trying to figure how make the setup work with a simpler base without the custom scrollbar, just an event that moves the component in the Y axis and then add more features to it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rodrigo said:

If I was you I'd be trying to figure how make the setup work with a simpler base without the custom scrollbar, just an event that moves the component in the Y axis and then add more features to it.

I don't understand what you mean exactly here

2 minutes ago, Rodrigo said:

Mhh... Have you measured such behaviour with the performance tool in dev-tools or the profiler in react dev-tools? It seems more annoying than anything, but keep in mind that a high order component is just a function, so everytime you invoke that function the resulting component (with it's children) is returned to the DOM and all the code inside is executed as well.

I haven't tried the performance but that sounds expensive at first

I ended up having to use this

bodyScrollBar.current = Scrollbar.init(ref.current, {
      damping: 0.1,
      delegateTo: document,
    });

bodyScrollBar.current.setPosition(0, 0);
    bodyScrollBar.current.track.xAxis.element.remove();

ScrollTrigger.scrollerProxy(ref.current, {
      scrollTop(value) {
        if (arguments.length) {
          bodyScrollBar.current.scrollTop = value;
        }
        return bodyScrollBar.current.scrollTop;
      },
    });

bodyScrollBar.current.addListener(ScrollTrigger.update);
  });
  return (
    <div className="content-scroll" style={{ height: "100vh" }} ref={ref}>
      {props.render(bodyScrollBar, ref) // If i pass this "ref" to the component it will run when resize the browser The lane reference itself must be used }
    </div>
  );
});

It didn't even work, but it did enough, but there is a real problem. Comment on the code above