Search Community

iFrame throttling iOS

krattus test
Moderator Tag

Hi guys, first I want to say thanks for this extremely helpful forum and all these amazing libraries. Such awesome work. Thank you very much!

I work at a company where we build complex mobile banners in different formats we have created. I am having a problem in our HitchHike format. Basically it is the iframe throttling issue in iOS. The animation that works perfectly on Android and desktop slows down to 0.5 frames per second or something ridiculous on iOS. I have been trying to figure out a way to get around this. I was thinking that if I could switch the useRAF off and just have the engine use setTimeOut instead that maybe it would help to get over this issue, but I wasn't able to set the useRAF to false.

Here is the link to an example build:
https://create.playground.xyz/gupame/2/quiet?pos=header-ad&size=320x50&show-engagements=true

If you press Shift + E while not focused in the iFrame, but on the general page, it will open the codePen editor for it.

Would be super helpful if anyone could help me with this.

I don't think @krattus is saying it's a GSAP thing at all - it's just that iOS Safari throttles updates in non-activated iframes so the animations appear jerky (until you click into that iframe). It's totally unrelated to GSAP and the throttling affects requestAnimationFrame and setTimeout() (just like when you hide a tab), so I'm not aware of a workaround other than complaining to Apple or slapping a huge "CLICK HERE FOR SMOOTHER ANIMATION" image over the entire ifame. ;)

• Like 1