Search Community

Timeline on resize

Catalin R. test
Moderator Tag

Hi,

I have a big problem on every project when I resize the window. What should I do with each timeline or tween on resize? I need to have the same effect.

And I need an advice, how to make (see my topic) on scroll, to have for horizontal lines the same position, relative to those titles?

Thanks!

See the Pen vYGbZXg?editors=0010 by ZenTao (@ZenTao) on CodePen

Hi Zach,

I have two goals. First, when I resize the browser (responsive part) I need to have the same position for each element set with GSAP timeline.

And second, on scroll I need to have those two horizontal lines (line-01 and line-02) in the same position, near Title 02 respectively Title 01.

Let me know if I was clear about these goals.

Thanks!

Hi,

This resize doesn't work properly, I don't get the same position for each element animated with that timeline. I've tried many times to make the code fore resize but without success, for that I'm here on GSAP forum.

And, I have two long horizontal lines with classes "line-01" respectively "line-02". After animation (from top: 100%) they have new position. I need the same position (relatively to those titles) to be kept on scroll.

3 minutes ago, Catalin R. said:

I have two long horizontal lines with classes "line-01" respectively "line-02". After animation (from top: 100%) they have new position. I need the same position (relatively to those titles) to be kept on scroll.

Why not just position them as a child of the widget? That would make your calculations and keeping them in sync on scroll wayyy easier.

Unfortunately we don't have the capacity to fix your calculations and such for you. If you have a specific question about GSAP we're happy to help :) 

2 minutes ago, Catalin R. said:

GSAP cannot be made to work for all devices?

GSAP works great for all devices! The issue is a logical one with your resize code. Like I said, we unfortunately don't have the resources to help debug every issue that people post that's logical and unrelated to GSAP like this one. If you need additional help it might make sense to hire someone to help you with your logic. The jobs and freelance forum here might be a good way to find someone.

2 minutes ago, Catalin R. said:

Your function doesn't work for resize.

All I did was put your code into a function.

7 minutes ago, Catalin R. said:

This example show me that GSAP has methods to make timeline works on resize.

All that does on resize is 1) kill off the previous animation and 2) recreate it. The animation itself uses responsive units that are dependent on the new screen size to it works with different sizes.

7 minutes ago, Catalin R. said:

Can you advice me how to use properly 4 variables into a timeline?

That's quite an abstract question. I can show you lots of ways to use 4 variables in a timeline but that won't be very helpful.

Why don't you try putting the lines inside of the widgets like I said before? Then rewrite the code inside of the setupLines function to work with the new position of the lines. Then try resizing it and see how it goes wrong (if it goes wrong). If you still can't figure it out, post here and I'll try to help.

• Like 1

Hi Zach,

I can't put those two long horizontal lines inside of the widgets. They are visible on other sections too, into a big project. The point is: they are always visible and changing their position. And, it's not about those two lines only, all elements are not in the right position on resize. How can I use properly 4 variables into a timeline?

Thanks Zach! I hope you are not angry on me! Hope so!