Search Community

Plugins: Uncaught RefferenceError: exporets is not defined

Christopher DuCharme test
Moderator Tag

I'm working on some banners and am having an issue where I can't get Greensock plugins to work when the js file is stored in my local environment.  I get the following error when trying to load SplitText 

VM2336 SplitText.js:3 Uncaught ReferenceError: exports is not defined
    at VM2336 SplitText.js:3

The same JavaScript file for SplitText works fine if I host it on a server rather than load the file from a local folder with:

<script src="js/SplitText.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

I'm looking to have the js file included with the banner deliverables and not hosted on a third party location.

Any thoughts as to what the difference might be that that is causing the error when loading from my js folder and how I might be able to address that.

We do have the Club Greensock Membership for 5 developers, and I just downloaded the latest files this morning to see if this would resolve the issue without luck.

Thanks @ZachSaucier,

The solved that error message.  

I was using the unminified version because it solved another error I was having.

The minified version was giving me:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot assign to read only property 'window' of object '#<Window>'

I think the issue I'm having has to due with:

'use strict';

The gulp build process / bebel is forcing it on any local js files and why it works when hosted by a third party.  So now I need to figure out away around that.

I haven't solved the root issue preventing the plugin from working yet.

I'm loading GSAP from the DCM CDN in my banners.  

Then I have gulp running a built process from an src folder to build folder that compiles my scss and minifies all my javascript using babel.  

Manually removing the 

'use strict';

from SplitText.min.js in the build directory solves all my issues.  But everytime gulp runs / detects a change to files again it adds it back.  So, I need to figure out away to prevent gulp from doing this globally or just for this file.

6 minutes ago, Christopher DuCharme said:

I'm loading GSAP from the DCM CDN in my banners.  

Then I have gulp running a built process from an src folder to build folder that compiles my scss and minifies all my javascript using bebel. 

Let me get this straight: you are loading GSAP from a CDN and then you have a bundled JS file that gulp is generating loading afterwards? That all works without SplitText?

If so, I would think you could just load the modules version of SplitText but I may be incorrect there as I'm not sure how bundlers work with external JS files. Maybe @OSUblake has some additional insight.

11 minutes ago, Christopher DuCharme said:

using bebel

I assume you mean Babel, not bebel?

14 minutes ago, Christopher DuCharme said:

everytime gulp runs / detects a change to files again it adds it back.  So, I need to figure out away to prevent gulp from doing this globally or just for this file.

This seems doable assuming you're using Babel.

2 minutes ago, ZachSaucier said:

If so, I would think you could just load the modules version of SplitText but I may be incorrect there as I'm not sure how bundlers work with external JS files. Maybe @OSUblake has some additional insight.

Loading the module version should be fine, but it's hard to say what your gulp build is doing. I think letting Babel handle the imports can lead to problems. You might be better off using a build solution like webpack, rollup, parcel, etc.

• Like 1