Search Community

Horizontal scrolltrigger start times

Daniel Hult test
Moderator Tag

Hey guys :D 

Im trying to make a horizontal scrolling section and have some svg paths drawn as you scroll. My problem is that I don't know how to set the start/end times for the DrawSVGPlugin. At the moment they start at 0 (which makes each one of them start at the same time), so when I have scrolled to the second svg, it's already finished drawing the path.

Is it possible to set a left value as a start in scrollTrigger somehow? As in "start when this elements left side is in view"?

I've seen some threads on here about animating children in horizontal scroll section, but I couldn't figure out what to set the values to anyway..

Im trying to make something similar to this (as in the horizontal section here):
https://www.happymaven.co.uk/

See the Pen NWNOzNy by daniel-hult (@daniel-hult) on CodePen

Hey Daniel.

Anytime you're doing something like this you're faking horizontal scrolling. In order to compensate for that, your start times for each section's animations should be offset by the vertical offset of the horizontally scrolling container as well as the offsetLeft position of each section's container. That's what the other examples that you've come across do. In your demo, here's how that would look: 

See the Pen ExKdRLj?editors=0010 by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

With that being said, I think it'd probably be easier to use a single SVG that fills the entire width of the horizontal section if possible. It'd be easier to keep synced.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daniel Hult said:

One issues with this is if you have a section above it. You can see it starts too soon:

Yep. Like I said, 

your start times for each section's animations should be offset by the vertical offset of the horizontally scrolling container as well as the offsetLeft position of each section's container.

I didn't include the vertical offset because it wasn't needed for your demo. 

Just add the .offsetTop of .container to the start.

• Like 1