Search Community

gsap glitches in newest chrome version !!

Jess.Park test
Moderator Tag

I'm having major issue with this :-(

Apparently, Chrome released new version on August 25 (85.0.4183.83) and suddenly my website that I was working on, has a weird glitch whenever it scrolls.

It animates fine when not scrolling, but when scrolling, suddenly all divs that animates are glitching and flickering like crazy.

It clearly didn't had this issue in previous chrome version. Also it still works fine in Safari.

I checked greensock website just to make sure, and it seems like it also has the same kind of glitch when scrolling. (watch the small font paragraphs in greensock video that I've attached.)

I've attached both greensock website and my working project video. Please check and provide me some solution. I'm really desperate...

Thanks for posting. Chrome really seems to have messed something up here 😕 

The error occurs even with old versions of GSAP/ScrollTrigger in the latest Chrome so I'm betting it's NOT related to GSAP. With that being said, we'll try our best to figure out a workaround. 

I'll be trying to create a minimal demo of the issue, but if any of you are able to provide a minimal demo that'd be helpful.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there! I'm a huge fan of Greensock and ScrollTrigger has been a total lifesaver ! Unfortunately, I'm still seeing this flicker problem on Chrome in some of my projects even with the will-change property specified on the element or container, including on the Greensock homepage. 

Any idea why this might be? I'm happy to attach a minimal demo of my specific case, but I'm wondering why that didn't fix it for me and it seemed to have worked for others. I'm running the same Chrome version as OP I believe, 85.0.4183.102

Hey @Rekha and welcome to the GreenSock forums.

You're saying that the flicker on the GreenSock homepage still occurs on your device? That's peculiar. Maybe it has something to do with the hardware specifications. Maybe if you provided some info about your CPU and GPU we might be able to test on similar devices sometime?

Regardless I don't know that's there's much we can do at this point - there's definitely a rendering issue in Chrome.