Search Community

Alpine.js

JamesGrubb test
Moderator Tag

Hello James,

and welcome to the club. I am just a newbie but I think it has a great deal to offer and you will enjoy it.

alpine.js is new to me so I have just read up on a background article and have some initial thoughts but your post is very short.
i use bootstrap, have looked at react and vue.js and also flask and Django.

my guess is that you are thinking about using alpine as a replacement for jQuery and it’s toggle method?

I have so far found little use for jQuery and only use it sparingly and I am tending to prefer JavaScript or gsap util functions to control animations.

at this point in time my personal feeling is that I want to improve my knowledge of greensock and JavaScript but of course I might be missing something about the advantages that alpine offers.

perhaps you could expand on your post to explain more about what you want to do in greensock and what the advantages of alpine might be although I am sure that it is very capable of toggling classes if that’s what you want.

Hello thank you for getting back to me. I appreciate it was a rather open question. I will certainly put up a codepen when I get something going. Thank you @Richard1604 and @ZachSaucier Alpine does seem to be used for simple toggle actions so I thought it might be a good fit for controlling gsap timelines. @Richard1604 I agree that using vanilla JS is the best approach. I put the question in the forum just incase someone had any thoughts. Thanks again. See you here later.

Hi,

Fun little experiment:

See the Pen gOrWQrY?editors=1010 by rhernando (@rhernando) on CodePen

Now, honestly I don't know if I'd include Alpine among my go-to libraries right now. As you can see the code is quite simple and nothing that can't be done with vanilla JS. Sure you don't have to get the elements from the DOM and there is some degree of encapsulation thanks to the x-data directive which allows you to initialize different components in your HTML, which is something nice, so maybe for something really small or perhaps using some sort of agnostic templating library, this proves handy. Although I'm missing a method/hook in order to create the GSAP instance (or do those type of operations), kind of what x-init does but with access to the component's state. I guess I'm too used to libraries and frameworks such as Vue, React, etc.

Happy Tweening!!!

• Like 4