Search Community

ScrollTrigger position fixed jumps

xoxoxoxo test
Moderator Tag

Hi folks,

Absolutely love the new ScrollTrigger plugin! 

I have an `.interim` div which basically stays in the normal flow. The `.group` div below should be fixed so it feels like the `.interim` div is revealing the `.group` div. 

This works fine with the code I've written, however I see the scrollbar on my browser jumps a bit and I know it has to do with toggling position. Is there an elegant way to do this?

See the Pen vYGxVXz by taher-space (@taher-space) on CodePen

Whoops, sorry.

Do you see how the first two divs behave? Where the text div is pinned and the image div comes in and both moves up, normally.

I expect this to happen for the content that's below the violet background. The content below just breaks that functionality.

Hello,

Sorry for intruding into this thread, I tried similar approach in Gatsby , some reason it's not working . Below is the use effect code I tried to make it work. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.  

cheers -ak

useEffect(() => {
gsap.registerPlugin(ScrollTrigger)
const tl = gsap.timeline({
paused: true,
scrollTrigger: {
trigger: titleRef.current,
pin: true,
start: 'top top',
scrub: true,
markers: true,
pinSpacing: false,
},
})
}, [])

Zach,

Back to my original pen here:  

See the Pen poyPypy by taher-space (@taher-space) on CodePen

(forked it for you) - Do you see how there is more room to scroll when the interim div reveals? In your solution I see it the image follows instantly and if I increase interim's height to 200vh the content below are lost.

If you increase the height of interim div in my example you can see the content in the back stays similar.

Ok, so I got this working by adding a `ghost` div and changing the end trigger. 

The markup seems a bit weird though. Doesn't feel linear. Any thoughts on how I can improve it overall? Essentially, `.content-on-bottom` should be able to group my `.layer` and `.cover` together along with the ghost div so it's all part of one div instead of isolating them.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to bump this as I ran into an issue if I'm doing subsequent divs that needs to be revealed along with keeping the original solution.

Zach, your setup for pinning the div along with using css pseudo element works for one div only. How would I setup scroll triggers if I want to setup something like above: You can see every other div is already pinned in the back.

10 hours ago, nullhook said:

if you notice, all image's div move up at the same time. 

You're making one of the most common GSAP mistakes: using a generic selector when you want to use a specific target. You should use loops to create a ScrollTrigger for each section and make the targets specific to each section. I talk more extensively about how to do that in my article on animating efficiently.

• Like 2

Hi Zach,

When I add elements as an ancestor to the pinned element it gets rendered at top and this make sense because the pinned div is basically a fixed div with computed height. However, I'd expect ancestor elements to be rendered in the normal document flow.

How can I go back to normal document flow with ScrollTrigger? Do I have to grab the height of the pinned element and push it down manually?
There must be a ScrollTrigger way of doing this.

Test case: 

See the Pen wvGyRqZ?editors=1010 by nullhoooook (@nullhoooook) on CodePen

Please use the "fork" button when creating new versions of your demos so that context is not lost in these forums.

I see no "[adding] elements as an ancestor to the pinned element" in the pen that you provided. If you'd like our help debugging please make a minimal demo that recreates the issue that you're having.