Search Community

Intersection Observer to ScrollTrigger, is it worth it performance wise?

thad test
Moderator Tag

Hi all. 

Just recently I have created a site that runs GSAP tweens with intersection observer. There are quite few different animations going on. 
While I was developing site, scrollTrigger got released, and I imported scrollTrigger to test it, and I left it in project because of Scrub animations which are very nice, but everything else is powered by intersection observer.

I was wondering if it was worth it performance wise, to convert everything to scrollTrigger, especially now that scrollTrigger is included it project anyway?

Intersection observers aren't intrinsically bad. In fact there are some rare cases where it makes more sense to have ScrollTriggers + intersection observers than only ScrollTriggers. ScrollTrigger just allows you to do more things than intersections observers, and especially do it more intuitively (I think).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ZachSaucier said:

rare cases where it makes more sense to have ScrollTriggers + intersection observers

I see. Please let me know if you have any example of those rare cases, would love to see them :)
Think I will just leave it as is. Was just wondering since I'm already using scrollTrigger for scrub animation. Thanks for comment