Search Community

SplitText and Stagger - Illusion of curving text around a sphere

Sonya.Ninja test
Moderator Tag

Hi Zach! (because he always answers me first)

I have this damn planet with a banner of text that I need to "curve" around it.

I've split the text and was hoping to apply a stagger to animate the scale of each letter as it slides across the planet but, of course, they either scale all at once or one at a time.

Am I using the wrong GSAP technology for what I want to achieve?

Thanks (always) for the excellent support!

See the Pen RwaapPz?editors=0010 by sonya-ninja (@sonya-ninja) on CodePen

Hey @Sonya.Ninja,

Staggering the scale of a split text horizontally is not that easy (spacing of the words). Here's just a try with two stagger tweens

See the Pen eYZZRzZ by mikeK (@mikeK) on CodePen

@PointC has a super vertical solution: an overlap repeating loop

See the Pen JjXXJKJ by mikeK (@mikeK) on CodePen

But ZACH definitely has something else in the quiver ...

Happy scrolling for a better world ...

Mikel

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikel said:

Hey @Sonya.Ninja,

Staggering the scale of a split text horizontally is not that easy (spacing of the words). Here's just a try with two stagger tweens

@PointC has a super vertical solution: an overlap repeating loop

But ZACH definitely has something else in the quiver ...

Happy scrolling for a better world ...

Mikel

I'm so amused - it's the first time someone other than Zach has replied!

I've just had a whisky so I'll re-think these solutions when I'm less tipsy.  No more coding for me today!

The vertical solution may just be a working compromise.  I'm most interested though, in how you managed to make the scale animation happen in the middle of my planet - my brain is too fuzzy to understand what you did, but it seems as though it has something to do with animating the stagger from the centre? I'll sober up then look again. Thank you SO much Mikel (and PointC) for the ideas!

7 hours ago, Sonya.Ninja said:

Hi Zach! (because he always answers me first)

Hahaha, thanks for the shout out :D You posted before I was awake. Sorry to disappoint by not answering first but mikel gave a great answer!

If you want text to actually wrap around a planet then it'd be good to use a technology like WebGL (GSAP can still help out with the animation). Depending on the complexity of the globe you need https://globekit.co/ might be a helpful resource.

Overall you post is pretty broad. If you have a specific question let us know :) 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ZachSaucier said:

Hahaha, thanks for the shout out :D You posted before I was awake. Sorry to disappoint by not answering first but mikel gave a great answer!

If you want text to actually wrap around a planet then it'd be good to use a technology like WebGL (GSAP can still help out with the animation). Depending on the complexity of the globe you need https://globekit.co/ might be a helpful resource.

Overall you post is pretty broad. If you have a specific question let us know :) 

Hey Zach! There you Are!

I'm not going to add WebGL to this project - I already feel like God using GSAP - animating everything in the universe.  I went a bit overboard on the project (NOTHING is stationary - everything moves!) and now I'm trying to simplify.  I just wanted the illusion of a banner curving around the sphere - it's not a train-smash.  I'll figure out a different effect for this one (perhaps something like what PointC suggested).  WebGl would be fun though - perhaps for the next project.

Have an awesome Saturday!

It sounds like you want more of a fluid movement as the letters go across the globe? Like when one letter is at full size, the letters on each side of it are still scaling back down. If that's the case, it seems a lot like my wavy slider demo. Maybe it'll give you some ideas.

See the Pen zYrjoLq by PointC (@PointC) on CodePen

I also have a full tutorial on its creation here:

https://www.motiontricks.com/wavy-gauge-numbers/

Hopefully that helps. Happy tweening.

:)

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, PointC said:

It sounds like you want more of a fluid movement as the letters go across the globe? Like when one letter is at full size, the letters on each side of it are still scaling back down. If that's the case, it seems a lot like my wavy slider demo. Maybe it'll give you some ideas.

I also a full tutorial on its creation here:

https://www.motiontricks.com/wavy-gauge-numbers/

Hopefully that helps. Happy tweening.

:)

YES YES YES YES!!!!!! Thank you!