Search Community

ScrollTrigger pin issues in Firefox

michelleenos test
Moderator Tag

I've been using ScrollTrigger for the first time and loving it! But, I've come across some issues with the plugin in Firefox specifically. I've been working on an animation with a large pinned item. Often, if you scroll too fast there's a brief moment where the pinned item will keep scrolling - before GSAP catches up and pins it in place.

I know this has to do with how browsers handle scroll behavior, but it seems just fine on Chrome, while Firefox is really buggy-looking if you scroll too fast. I've tried adding anticipatePin and it might help a little bit, but the problem is still there.

I haven't managed to get all of my content into a CodePen demo, but I'm attaching an example from the docs which displays the same problem, and a GIF screen capture. Is there anything I can do to mitigate this? 

See the Pen MWyaYaq?editors=1010 by crankysparrow (@crankysparrow) on CodePen

Hey Michelle and welcome to the GreenSock forums! 

Besides trying your best to avoid pinning large elements, especially ones that require a lot of processing like really large images, I don't believe there's much that you can do besides using anticipatePin. This is because the scrolling thread is separate from the main JS thread. In other words this a browser-level issue, not something that we can fix or work around.