Search Community

Club Greensock Plugins and Yarn

CxGarcia test
Moderator Tag

Good Day All!

I am writing because I have recently ran into a problem with the Club Greensock plugins in a project. Basically the story is as follows:

I have a React project that is running on Next.js and is deployed on Vercel. Their pipeline is integrated to GitHub and all you have to do is push changes to your remote repo and it is built and deployed automatically by Vercel. As a side note, the flow is quite amazing and it is worth checking out...

So I have recently added the Club Greensock plugins to the project and they are working like magic on the local server, the plugins really are amazing! However, whenever I deploy I am getting the following error since I am git-ignoring the tarball as I have read a couple of comments by the GSAP team asking not to upload the files to GitHub:

error "./gsap-bonus.tgz": Tarball is not in network and can not be located in cache (["/vercel/3c5442f4/gsap-bonus.tgz","/vercel/.cache/yarn/v6/npm-gsap-3.4.1-b86fc24265bbb3738ad1efb8f7bd4b2aa4a38a20/node_modules/gsap/.yarn-tarball.tgz"])

I have read some posts in the forums but the suggestions and fixes don't seem to apply to this particular case. I am thinking that a quick fix could be if by any chance the plugins are deployed as a private NPM package. I really don't have any other ideas at the moment... 

Please, please, please let me know if anyone else has run into a similar issue and what solutions have you devised/come across!

Hey CxGarcia and welcome to the GreenSock forums. Thanks a lot for supporting GreenSock by being a Club GreenSock member!

You are correct in that Club GreenSock plugins should not be included in a public repository. What people normally do is either a) host the files on their own private server or b) use a private repository for their projects. 

With that being said, we are actually in the process of integrating an additional install method using a private NPM registry. However, this method would require that a private API key be included in your .npmrc file. Would that be adequate for your use case? 

• Like 2

Thanks for the prompt response and warm welcome!

32 minutes ago, ZachSaucier said:

You are correct in that Club GreenSock plugins should not be included in a public repository. What people normally do is either a) host the files on their own private server or b) use a private repository for their projects. 

Yes, I definitely understand your concern and agree with your position. I am currently deploying with a private repo and everything works as expected. However, since this is part of a portfolio project, I am keen on exposing the source code.

35 minutes ago, ZachSaucier said:

However, this method would require that a private API key be included in your .npmrc file. Would that be adequate for your use case? 

This would work since Vercel has support for private NPM packages without exposing the keys (more info here: https://vercel.com/knowledge/using-private-dependencies-with-vercel). Please let me know when this feature is released and thanks again.