Search Community

Grid animation

Alexandra Spalato test
Moderator Tag

1 hour ago, GreenSock said:

I'd use the FLIP technique which is described here: https://greensock.com/docs/v3/HelperFunctions#FLIP

I think that demo is rather confusing, and the helper function has issues. It doesn't work with a single element, and it doesn't handle interruptions correctly. getBoundingClientRect throws it off mid animation. Click repeatedly to see the issue.

See the Pen 9d0a2b57a1e70f57f752969f588216c5 by osublake (@osublake) on CodePen

Handling size changes would be even better, although scaling requires a little bit of work to counter scale. The less performant way would be to animate width and height.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 2:10 AM, OSUblake said:

I think that demo is rather confusing, and the helper function has issues. It doesn't work with a single element, and it doesn't handle interruptions correctly. getBoundingClientRect throws it off mid animation. Click repeatedly to see the issue.

Here's an updated function that uses more modern JS: 

function flip(elements, changeFunc, vars) {
  elements = gsap.utils.toArray(elements);
  vars = vars || {};
  let tl = gsap.timeline({onComplete: vars.onComplete, delay: vars.delay || 0}),
      bounds = elements.map(element => {
        let b = element.getBoundingClientRect();
        element._flip && element._flip.progress(1);
        element._flip = tl;
        return b;
      }),
      copy = {},
      p;
  changeFunc();
  for (p in vars) {
    p !== "onComplete" && p !== "delay" && (copy[p] = vars[p]);
  }
  copy.x = (i, element) => "+=" + (bounds[i].left - element.getBoundingClientRect().left);
  copy.y = (i, element) => "+=" + (bounds[i].top - element.getBoundingClientRect().top);
  return tl.from(elements, copy);
}

I updated the docs of course too. 

As for interrupting, the problem was that your function that was establishing the new state wasn't resetting the x/y to 0 (the way you'd want it to be in the final state) but I added some code to the helper function that'll keep track of the flip stuff assigned to each element and force it to completion on subsequent flip() calls, so it should allow you to avoid resetting the x/y in your function. 

See the Pen eYJLOdj by GreenSock (@GreenSock) on CodePen

Better? 

• Like 2