Search Community

latest version number

Michael Barsotti test
Moderator Tag

No, don't use them as a CDN. I was saying maybe you could parse it for the version ninety but thinking of it now that probably wouldn't work. 

You could probably use a CDN like jsdeliver or cdnjs to get the latest version. I know CodePen does that through an API.

No no no, PLEASE don't link to anything on this domain! We may move things and sometimes we try beta versions. Plus we do NOT want mission-critical sites depending on our local file here. That happened once where a banner ad was linking directly to a file on our server (without our knowledge or consent) and it caused MAJOR problems for everyone. It brought our site to its knees (massive traffic) and we had to yank the file down (which of course broke their banner). 

I have redacted the URL from this thread, just so others don't stumble upon it and try using it. 

Definitely use a CDN as Zach suggested in his last post. 👍  Or I guess even Github could work. 

• Like 1

Thank you, I removed my code from my earlier post, I will use https://api.cdnjs.com/libraries/gsap?fields=version. this is exactly what I was looking for.

A new question. My employer is a GreenSock business member, if I mix old versions of the business green files with latest gsap from the cdn will that cause a problem since those files are included in our projects? I imagine it will but you guys are great with backwards compatibility so I thought I'd ask.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Michael Barsotti said:

Thank you, I removed my code from my earlier post, I will use https://api.cdnjs.com/libraries/gsap?fields=version. this is exactly what I was looking for.

Perfect, thanks!

42 minutes ago, Michael Barsotti said:

My employer is a GreenSock business member, if I mix old versions of the business green files with latest gsap from the cdn will that cause a problem since those files are included in our projects? I imagine it will but you guys are great with backwards compatibility so I thought I'd ask.

The plugin structure totally changed in the major version release (version 3), so you couldn't use v2 plugins with a v3 core for example. Of course it's always best to use the latest stuff if possible. We keep improving things :) But yeah, we work very hard to maintain backwards compatibility whenever possible. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cmb said:

Oh, no, I didn't mean mixing v2 and v3, I meant mixing 3.2.1 member files with 3.3.4 core.

Oh, absolutely. Yes, that should work just fine. The only exception is for a new plugin like ScrollTrigger which required some additions to the core to integrate - you couldn't, for example, use ScrollTrigger with GSAP 3.0.0. ScrollTrigger needs 3.3.0 or later, but that's a very rare exception. Pretty much all the other plugins I can think of have no such limitation. 

• Like 2