Search Community

Including GSAP in Wordpress plugin repository?

kozelsky test
Moderator Tag

Hello, 

I am developing a Wordpress plugin and I am using GSAP for animation. Plugin has a free version ready to be released, and I plan to make a paid version later this year.  My aim is to have the free plugin listed in Wordpress Plugin Repository. 

When I have submitted the free version of my plugin to WP repository I have received the following answer from Wordpress: 

## Non-GPL Code Included

It's required that all code be compatible with the GPLv2 (or later) license in order to be included in our directory.

You must remove the code and alter the plugin so it is not required. We suggest you find code that is GPL compatible and use that instead. For more information on what types of licenses are compatible with GPL, please review the following links:

Example(s) from your plugin:

scrollsequence/public/js/ssq-lib.js

That uses code from Greensock:

// 0.0 Init GSAP

/*!
* GSAP 3.3.0
* https://greensock.com
* @license Copyright 2020, GreenSock. All rights reserved.
* Subject to the terms at https://greensock.com/standard-license or for Club GreenSock members, the agreement issued with that membership.
* @author: Jack Doyle, jack@greensock.com
*/

Sadly that is not permitted in the directory and must be removed.

My plan from the start was to use GSAP for both versions of my plugin and pay Club Greensock (Business licence) as soon as the paid version will be released. 

Have I missed something? Surely there must be a way how to include GSAP in free Wordpress plugin. 

Please be nice, I am new in plugin development :-)

Ales 

Hey kozelsky and welcome to the GreenSock forums.

As far as GreenSock is concerned, we certainly don’t mind if you use the public tools (like GSAP) on a WordPress site or in a theme as long as you’ve got the proper license (and if your theme is totally free, you wouldn't even need any special license from us). However, we can’t speak for WordPress or what they allow legally on their end. My understanding is that GPL is pretty tricky because it imposes some very strict (and in my opinion, burdensome) requirements that aren’t very business-friendly. I believe the GPL infects everything it touches, meaning that if you use GPL software in your project like WordPress does, you MUST open source your entire project as well under GPL (which is why it can be very unattractive for businesses in competitive spaces).

According to https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#FSWithNFLibs it looks like WordPress' GPL license may not be compatible with GSAP. GSAP is “free” in most cases (though of course NOT the bonus plugins) but since there’s a particular type of commercial usage that requires a paid license, it’s not 100% “free” in ALL cases. Again, none of these restrictions are imposed by us - if WordPress requires a GPL-compatible license on all parts of WordPress websites, the restrictions are on their end. We encourage folks to use our tools as much as possible. Over 10,000,000 sites use GSAP (and rising). We’re definitely not trying to be restrictive.  

It might be good to reply to WordPress telling them about your situation and use of GSAP and asking them if it's compatible with their license. If they respond, we'd love to know what they say!

In case you haven't seen it already, I'd definitely recommend reading about the "why" behind our license. We firmly believe our licensing model is ultimately a GOOD thing for end users like yourself. 

I hope that helps but I'm sorry if that's not the answer you were hoping for. Let us know if you need anything else.

Happy tweening!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...