Search Community

ScrollTrigger with scrub, trigger reverse timeline

kristoffer test
Moderator Tag

Hi

Is it possible to trigger a timeline to "run" in reverse using ScrollTrigger with scrub? For just playing timeline in reverse I can use timeline.reverse(), but that doesn't seem to work when using ScrollTrigger with scrub. Right now I have two timelines, one forward and one reverse? See pen.

Or is it possible to have ScrollTrigger  (w/scrub) limited to a specific section of a timeline, say between 2 and 4 seconds?

Kristoffer

See the Pen LYGzEpj by krispen (@krispen) on CodePen

Hi Mikel,

Thanks for your reply. That could work, so in your case the pause will be 20% ( 0.5/(1+0.5+1) ) of the scroll. But I would have to create two tweens, one fwd and one reverse, no easy shortcut as .play() and .reverse()?

Tween a progress...  would it be something like this: gsap.fromTo(timeline, {progress: 25%}, {progress: 75%}); ? Does that mean I can tween the time itself too: gsap.fromTo(timeline, {time: 2}, {time: 4}); ? Can this be reversed as well:  gsap.fromTo(timeline, {time: 4}, {time: 2}); ?

Thanks,

Kristoffer

Yep, that's because by default the ScrollTrigger will force its animation to render initially (for a bunch of reasons - I can explain if you want). When an animation renders for the first time, it records the starting/ending values internally so that it can very quickly interpolate during the tween. In this demo, at the time you create your ScrollTrigger, ball.x is 0, thus when it renders it says "the start is 0...and we're tweening to 0" (hence the jump to 0). 

There are a few solutions to choose from: 

1. Set immediateRender: false on the tween. 
  2. -OR- Use a fromTo() instead of a to() so that you define both the starting and ending values. 

Does that help? 

There are a bunch of other ways you could approach this, but I don't want to overwhelm you :)

• Like 2

Hi

Ok that make sense. I kinda suspected that after I had the same issue when trying to use ScrollTrigger video scroll-animation. It always jumped back to zero even though currentTime > 0. .fromTo fixed that issue.  What is the best method for this issue in terms of animation performance and even browser support (if any difference)?