Search Community

Small Job: Animate an image on scroll

Drewguy test
Moderator Tag

edit: just realized this is possibly more of a vanilla JS job

I am trying to animate a left to right moving image under a native horizontally scrolling "carousel". The idea is to simulate a scrollbar tab. Changing the scrollbar tab in CSS works great for desktop (see published and live implementation here: https://bit.ly/2Nb4tif), but Apple has taken over scrollbar styling on their devices, so I'm using a static image on mobile.

Here is a basic codepen you can start with of the horizontal scroller: 

See the Pen XWXpxLp by drewbots (@drewbots) on CodePen

I have been trying to use ScrollMagic to achieve this: 

See the Pen rNxjWQW by drewbots (@drewbots) on CodePen

But I think we will ultimately need ScrollMagic plus GSAP. As far as I know, GSAP does not support horizontal scrolling or reacting from scrolling a specific div.

I think it's about an hours work or less for the right person. Maybe this should be a forum post, but I don't want to just ask for free help, I'm not really a developer.

42 minutes ago, ZachSaucier said:

Hey Drew. Welcome to the GreenSock forums!

This is straightforward using our scroll plugin, ScrollTrigger. We don't recommend using ScrollMagic :) 

Zach, is it also trivial to set the animation length to be responsive to the page width?

edit: so the div always stops at the right edge of the carousel, no matter what size screen you are using

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Drewguy said:

Zach, is it also trivial to set the animation length to be responsive to the page width?

edit: so the div always stops at the right edge of the carousel, no matter what size screen you are using

It is doing that already :) I didn't take into account the extra offset but that's simple to fix. I didn't figure it was worth doing in the demo since that's very likely not going to be the final design and sizing.

4 minutes ago, ZachSaucier said:

It is doing that already :) I didn't take into account the extra offset but that's simple to fix. I didn't figure it was worth doing in the demo since that's very likely not going to be the final design and sizing.

Oh, i see now.

I didnt notice:

.bar {width: 10vw;}.

very clever

cheers mate