Search Community

Bonus Plugins problem on netlify

thefalconlab test
Moderator Tag

Hello,

I just bought simply green to use the drawSvg plugin in a gatsbyjs project, everything works fine in local, I had the gsap-bonus.tz in my project and install it with yarn, but then on deploy on netlify, it fails when installing the packages 

error "./gsap-bonus.tgz": Tarball is not in network and can not be located in cache (["/opt/build/repo/gsap-bonus.tgz","/opt/build/.yarn_cache/v4/npm-gsap-3.3.1-38dd657cb489402de56aad2275178632de412527/node_modules/gsap/.yarn-tarball.tgz"])

I've tried to have the tgz file in git (btw, how to had it to git if I don't want people to see it, here my repo is private, but it's not always the case), and it fails the same way...

Hey thefalconlab and welcome to the GreenSock forums. I'm glad you got it figured out. 

5 hours ago, thefalconlab said:

I still need to have the tgz file on git, so what can I do for public repos ?

You should not put the .tgz including DrawSVG in a public repo. We ask that you only include the free files. Or just let people load GSAP themselves. For people to use the Club aspects, they need to have access to Club GreenSock.

If your repo is private then including the .tgz is fine - just don't make it public ;) 

36 minutes ago, Alexandra Spalato said:

Thanks, I'm the dev on this one, I will buy my licence for my themes, but if how to use a club plugin for a public repo then ? it's not possible

as if the file is not on github, it cannot be deployed...

is there a solution for that?

If you put the bonus plugins in a public repo, it makes it far too easy for people to accidentally (or intentionally) avoid getting their own Club GreenSock membership for access to those plugins. Plus most repos claim (or are assumed) to be "open source", adding to the confusion. Most people won't even realize that they aren't supposed to just pull those bonus files out of your repo and use them in their own projects apart from yours. See what I mean? 

When you sign up and get the proper commercial license, it'll cover all of your Work Products and it's totally fine for your customers to use the bonus files INSIDE your Work Product. They'd only need to get their own license if they want to use the bonus files apart from your Work Product. 

And like Blake said, you could host that in a password-protected area elsewhere so there isn't confusion about it being inside your repo. 

Does that clear things up? 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, bdrtsky said:

(again forum editor is broken on paste. how to fix it?)

I recommend pasting in plain text (CMD/CTRL + Shift + p) most of the time because the editor tries to retain existing styles. To fix your previous post I went into the HTML source and manually edited it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I've tried using "gsap": "file:gsap-bonus.tgz" in my package.json  but when I push on Github and Netlify starts the deploy, it provides me this message:

2:37:16 PM: npm ERR! code ENOENT
2:37:16 PM: npm ERR! syscall stat
2:37:16 PM: npm ERR! path /opt/build/repo/gsap-bonus.tgz
2:37:16 PM: npm ERR! errno -2
2:37:16 PM: npm ERR! enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, stat '/opt/build/repo/gsap-bonus.tgz'
2:37:16 PM: npm ERR! enoent This is related to npm not being able to find a file.
2:37:16 PM: npm ERR! enoent

Does anyone have the same problem?

Thanks

Andrea

package.json

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, timthewebguy said:

Would the GSAP Team be willing to consider hosting private npm packages for the bonus plugins? Similar to how Font Awesome handles their pro membership packages?

@timthewebguy We have been working on doing something like that, yes. Not quite ready for prime-time, but we're getting close. If you'd like to be a beta tester, let us know. And thanks for being "Shockingly Green"! 

• 6 months later...

Having similar issue attempting Netlify deploy...

npm ERR! Invalid: lock file's gsap@3.6.0 does not satisfy gsap@file:src/assets/gsap/bonus.tgz

Changed that tarball file name, moved it inside src, prefixed with "file:", made sure it isn't .gitignored, still getting the above. Using yarn in general, but Netlify seems to want a package-lock.json no matter what, so I'm also running npm i just to get that... I'm hoping this doesn't mean I need to manually edit the lock file...

I deleted the entire node_modules folder and both lockfiles before running yarn and npm install commands... it doesn't seem that any other versions of gsap should have survived that...

In poking around further, I noticed you now offer methods to download the private packages from npm.greensock.com, which I did get to work with yarn (following directions in another thread), but not with npm (which I still apparently need because Netlify is unavoidably using npm ci at some point during the build process). This is where I'm at now, with .npmrc set up with my token, trying to run npm i:

403 Forbidden - GET https://npm.greensock.com/@gsap%2fshockingly/-/shockingly-3.6.1.tgz - You must be logged in to install/publish packages.
npm ERR! 403 In most cases, you or one of your dependencies are requesting
npm ERR! 403 a package version that is forbidden by your security policy, or
npm ERR! 403 on a server you do not have access to.

8 hours ago, billyZduke said:

I deleted the entire node_modules folder and both lockfiles before running yarn and npm install commands... it doesn't seem that any other versions of gsap should have survived that...

In poking around further, I noticed you now offer methods to download the private packages from npm.greensock.com, which I did get to work with yarn (following directions in another thread), but not with npm (which I still apparently need because Netlify is unavoidably using npm ci at some point during the build process). This is where I'm at now, with .npmrc set up with my token, trying to run npm i:

403 Forbidden - GET https://npm.greensock.com/@gsap%2fshockingly/-/shockingly-3.6.1.tgz - You must be logged in to install/publish packages.
npm ERR! 403 In most cases, you or one of your dependencies are requesting
npm ERR! 403 a package version that is forbidden by your security policy, or
npm ERR! 403 on a server you do not have access to.

Could you share the .npmrc file (without the token)?

• Like 1

On 3/28/2021 at 11:57 PM, billyZduke said:
//npm.greensock.com/:_authToken={token}
//registry.npmjs.org/:_authToken={token}
@gsap:registry=https://npm.greensock.com

The config seems to be fine on your local machine. But to deploy to netlify you need to use environment variables. Here's a detailed guide how you can do the same:
https://answers.netlify.com/t/support-guide-using-private-npm-modules-on-netlify/795

(Apologies for the delay in my response. I forgot to hit the submit button 🤦‍♂️)

• Like 1