Search Community

Animating dashed line

NickNo test
Moderator Tag

I did this as a quick mockup using svgator, and now need to incorporate a few objects which have these moving dashed lines into a gsap project - (first project so please bear with :)) Is this possible to do in gsap (the moving dashed line) - and can someone please point me in the right direction...?

See the Pen gOPavjW by nickjacobsnz (@nickjacobsnz) on CodePen

Luckily started reading the svg gotchas thread and found this:

https://greensock.com/forums/topic/13681-svg-gotchas/?do=findComment&comment=57942 

hopefully can make something like this work...

That’s awesome thanks Zach! Amazing how hard it is to find something when you don’t quite know what to search for :) ... this forum looks to be super helpful and responsive! Thanks again

• Like 1

Just as an aside... I bought this into svgator with the water as solid (undashed) lines, which the tool has obviously converted into lots of ellipse paths... is there any way or advantage of doing this in GSAP? Ie animating a solid path into dashes rather than animating lots of paths of existing dashes? 

OK, I don't blame you for not understanding - it wasn't very clear, and in fact I was just confusing myself by not reading the code properly:)  

So, just to tidy up without the rest of the guff, and just focus on the line, this is the exact answer you gave and what I needed :)

See the Pen LYGGXJx by nickjacobsnz (@nickjacobsnz) on CodePen

• Like 1

OK, I do have one more question on animating lines :)

So, I've found that some of the animation is  moving the wrong way when I animate the  strokeDashOffset - is there any easy way to fix this other than going back and redrawing in illustrator, or doing something like I've done here - a separate .reversed animation:

See the Pen oNbxoGx by nickjacobsnz (@nickjacobsnz) on CodePen

I feel like I'm contributing when I answer my own questions :) haha.

I did find this tip from @PointC which was a quick Illustrator fix without having to code 2 sets of line animations:

"Quick tip: when you create your path, place a temporary arrowhead on the beginning of it via the stroke panel in your vector software. If the direction is incorrect, you can easily reverse it. In Adobe Illustrator you do that by the menu Object --> Path --> Reverse Path Direction. Once it's going in the desired direction, simply remove the arrowhead and export."

• Like 4