Search Community

How to animate a word somewhere in a sentence?

wildsol test
Moderator Tag

2 hours ago, PointC said:

I'd use the SpliText plugin and split by words. https://greensock.com/docs/v3/Plugins/SplitText

You can then use the getBoundingClientRect() method to find the width and move the words on each side accordingly.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Element/getBoundingClientRect

Attached video with responsive animation.

If you shrink screen width until words come in tow rows, you'll see that the last word animating not only horizontal but also vertical.

I think with your solution it's very hard to make this kind of animation.Am i wrong or may be there is another solution?

1 hour ago, wildsol said:

the last word animating not only horizontal but also vertical.

I think with your solution it's very hard to make this kind of animation.Am i wrong or may be there is another solution?

You will indeed have to build in support for that if you're wanting it. It's not too difficult with SplitText but it's not built in.

Why not just use the library that you're using in the demo above?

Yeah, adding another row adds to the degree of difficulty, but it's just one more variable so it shouldn't be too bad.

2 minutes ago, ZachSaucier said:

Why not just use the library that you're using in the demo above?

I was gonna ask the same thing.

1 hour ago, mikel said:

YES you can!

Thank you for your reply

If compare your solution with my codepen example, you'll see that the words after main word are move smoothly, but in your example they are move sharply

54 minutes ago, wildsol said:

If compare your solution with my codepen example, you'll see that the words after main word are move smoothly, but in your example they are move sharply

Yep. You'd need to add logic to compare the position of the words before and after the change and then tween from one to the other.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ZachSaucier said:

Yep. You'd need to add logic to compare the position of the words before and after the change and then tween from one to the other.

Right now it's absolutely magic for me. How Vuejs did it by adding and removing classes without styling inline.

See the Pen vYLNMrM by wsjs (@wsjs) on CodePen

What calculation is under the hood is mystery for me... And I thought may be gsap has something like this in the engine :)

1 minute ago, ZachSaucier said:

GSAP can change class names (which is pretty much all Vue is doing there), sure. 

Do you have any examples or link to documentation where I can search for solution - how to achieve same  effect with GSAP?

1 minute ago, ZachSaucier said:

Rebuild the same class name switching that Vue does. Unfortunately we don't have the capacity to do every project that people request. You can change the class name by using className in GSAP. If you have GSAP-specific questions we're happy to help.

Thank you for your time. I'll continue searching answers

• Like 1