Search Community

Scroll Trigger not working properly in IE11

ddi-web-team test
Moderator Tag

I'm having trouble getting the new Scroll Trigger plugin working in IE11. I can recreate the issue in a codepen. I provided the default URL, but to see the issue properly,  you'll need to look at debug view as that's the only view that works properly with IE11.

https://cdpn.io/DDI-Web-Team/debug/ef47361ba478799899683f07f3aaf0ae

If you look at the console in IE11 it says

Invalid property scrollTrigger set to .logo Missing plugin? gsap.registerPlugin()

But this isn't an issue in newer browsers. It seems like it does actually do the animation. But it does it on load.

Edit -  GSAP provided a fix below. I've updated the codepen to reflect the workaround. Leaving up the codepen for anyone that might stumble across it with a search engine query.

See the Pen ef47361ba478799899683f07f3aaf0ae?editors=1010 by DDI-Web-Team (@DDI-Web-Team) on CodePen

Edited by ddi-web-team
Providing clarity on fix.
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for reporting this, @ddi-web-team. I found the problem. All other browsers implicitly have a "name" property on class objects, but not IE. We'll implement a fix in 3.3.1 but in the meantime you can fix it by simply adding the name BEFORE you register the plugin like this:

ScrollTrigger.name = "ScrollTrigger";
gsap.registerPlugin(ScrollTrigger);

Sorry about the hassle. 

And thanks for providing a reduced test case! Very helpful indeed.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, GreenSock said:

EDIT: some environments won't let you do ScrollTrigger.name = "ScrollTrigger", so until we release 3.3.1 (probably in the next few days), do this right after you register the plugin instead: 

gsap.core.globals("ScrollTrigger", ScrollTrigger);

👍

This did it! thanks! will stay tuned for 3.3.1.

** Side note, running custom webpack build. It was working for me locally, including registerPlugin after gsap import. After i run a build, it was throwing same error ddi-web-team reported above and causing all to animate initially on load before scroll, for me in all browsers, not just IE.

Great work on the plugin guys!!! so stoked to do more with it!

• Like 1