Search Community

Using the shape of SVG button as the shape of the modal box

Raymond Chong test
Moderator Tag

https://tympanus.net/codrops/2014/12/08/inspiration-dialog-effects/ This is the closest example i can find but what i wanted to achieve is the animation of the button slowly morph into the dialog box with the same shape of the button. Let say if my button is a circle then the button then will morph into a circle dialog box. Can GSAP library make this happen? Or only javascript is required to achieve it? @KarlikyBecause i can't seems to find any GSAP related code in it.

3 hours ago, Raymond Chong said:

Let say if my button is a circle then the button then will morph into a circle dialog box. Can GSAP library make this happen?

It's definitely possible! What do you intend on using for the background? SVG? DOM? If you want the borders to actually morph (changing how the lines are drawn other than just scaling or changing dimensions) the MorphSVGPlugin can help. If all you need is a simple scale change or something, that's quite easily doable as well.

It would greatly help if you included a minimal demo of your setup and attempt at doing it. The thread below has more details on how to create that:

• Like 2

@ZachSaucierThis is the sample code pen that i had created that just with the css enlarge on hover animation. What i wanted to achieve is that the svg rotates and scales at the same time when it is clicked or just a simple scaling animation will do. And can i make the the background blur other than the svg that is scaled?

See the Pen KKdOvwx by lemon55699 (@lemon55699) on CodePen

@ZachSaucierSorry for the late reply as i am changing the codes. I had referred to your article and it helps me a lot. And i found a thread that is almost similar to what i wanted to achieve but slightly different. 

See the Pen ddzYjy by Sahil89 (@Sahil89) on CodePen

This is the codepen by Sahil. In his code, the shape his modal box is fixed to a square. But what i wanted is the shape of my modal box follows the shape of my icon when i clicked it. Is there any way that i can achieve it? 

6 hours ago, Raymond Chong said:

what i wanted is the shape of my modal box follows the shape of my icon when i clicked it. Is there any way that i can achieve it? 

In the case of the demo above, you can just change the shape of the modal box. What issue are you running into?

13 hours ago, ZachSaucier said:

you can just change the shape of the modal box.

show.to(modal, 0.5, {
    x: 0,
    y: 0,
    width: 800,
    height: 400,
    autoAlpha: 1
  });

Is this the part where i can change the shape of the box? Do i need a new SVG path? Or i can just change the code above to the shape i wanted? I just can't figure out how to make it work.

That's just gonna be a rectangle. If you want other shapes, you can create them in your vector software or hand code them. I'm not quite understanding the thread though. You started by talking about morphing between shapes and now it looks you just want a regular modal popup rectangle? Is that right? Or are you still trying to morph?

If you'd like to learn to hand code simple SVG shapes, this is an excellent guide.

https://webdesign.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-hand-code-svg--cms-30368

Happy tweening.

:)

• Like 2

I'm sorry for the confusion. I actually wanted the modal box to be the same shape as my icon. For example in my codepen i uses hexagon as my icon and i wanted my modal box to become a hexagon when i clicked it.

I think i should change the title of the thread.