Search Community

Parallax scroll gallery, height issue

Brodiero test
Moderator Tag

Hello!

My first post, i've been lurking for a couple of weeks trawling the forums finding helpful and inspiring posts and people. I'm new to GSAP and JS, having tinkered a little - I have a story much like @PointC although i'm still shooting as my main income. 

I'm putting together a new website and building a gallery, fallen very much for GSAP as a tool to bring some great possibilities to it and would like ti utilise it across the site.

I've hacked together codepens i've found and i'm trying to translate them with GSAP, the embedded GSAP codepen is how far i've got trying to replicate this parallax effect - 

See the Pen PoPvrWp by brodiero (@brodiero) on CodePen

however it's (no doubt) clunky and doesn't scale/position the image correctly. I would like to display the image 100% height when centered in the viewport and crop width to fit but I just can't make it work.

Appreciate any pointers how to achieve this or better execute it, I understand there's a scrolling plugin to replace ScrollMagic coming soon which may help 'flatten the (learning) curve'... 😉

Many thanks!

My attempt with GSAP

See the Pen PoPvvrz by brodiero (@brodiero) on CodePen

Hey Brodiero and welcome to the GreenSock forums! Glad to have you around. We'd love to see you becoming the next @PointC. You've got to make more jokes if you're going to be like him though ;) 

2 hours ago, Brodiero said:

understand there's a scrolling plugin to replace ScrollMagic coming soon which may help 'flatten the (learning) curve'... 😉

Honestly I recommend waiting and using the scroll plugin. It'll make this sort of thing much easier.

Hi Zach! Thank you for the welcome 🙂

I'm both intrigued and excited for the scroll plugin, most of my site ideas centre on it so i'll work on my GSAP and comedy skills until then!

16 minutes ago, ZachSaucier said:

Honestly I recommend waiting and using the scroll plugin. It'll make this sort of thing much easier.

Are you two talking about me? :ph34r:

Welcome to the forum @Brodiero. I'm glad to hear you're having fun with GSAP. I'd second @ZachSaucier's thoughts about waiting for the new plugin. It'll be much easier and more fun for you to work on your project once it's available. I think (don't quote me) it's coming out next week so it won't be a long wait.

As for the funny - that's just me here on the forum and IRL. I don't and won't take it all too seriously. If we aren't having fun doing this crazy coding/designing thing, what's the point, right? 

Once again, welcome aboard @Brodiero. Happy tweening.

:)

• Like 1