Search Community

gsap.utils.random incorrect values

chrisgannon test
Moderator Tag

I've either misunderstood what gsap.utils.random does or it's spitting out the wrong values.

Click the pen and a random value will display. My understanding was that it will choose values between 0 and 100,000 (in this case).

But it actually displays negative values too. If I put a snapping number in, like 1, (gsap.utils.random(0, 100000, 1)) it picks values from the correct range (but I don't get decimals).

See the Pen bb8db93f1783b4b0f0d3ac5d55f11f9a by chrisgannon (@chrisgannon) on CodePen

• Thanks 1

This should be resolved in the next release which you can preview at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/s.cdpn.io/16327/gsap-latest-beta.min.js

The issue was that for performance reasons, I was using a bitwise ~~ instead of Math.floor(), but the bitwise operator doesn't handle huge values. Check it out in the console - 

// works (including any number below this)
~~1000000000.25 // 1000000000

// add one more zero and it doesn't:
~~10000000000.25 // 1410065408

// add a few more and it flips negative: 
~~1000000000000.25 // -727379968

That's why it only broke when you fed in a very large number. And yes, it was less than the one I show above, but for snapping, I must multiply that by a factor first which adds some zeros. 

Does that clear things up? Sorry about the confusion/hassle there. I just used Math.floor() now in the next release. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, GreenSock said:

The issue was that for performance reasons, I was using a bitwise ~~ instead of Math.floor(), but the bitwise operator doesn't handle huge values

I thought I brought this up before. I guess this fixes it too.