Search Community

Tales From A Rookie

Greg Stager test
Moderator Tag

In another thread - I had posed a question about tutorials that seemed as though it had a fair amount of support.

This thread is for sharing some of those ideas. As I played around, I ended up with something slightly different than my original thoughts but the general concept remains. This is the first of hopefully many which I will continue to link in this thread as I make them.

Remember - these are aimed at beginners just like me. Happy to entertain any ideas to make them better.

Please enjoy "Tales From A Rookie".

Episode 1: Rotate An Object

• Like 3

Nice tutorials! Made me think of Scrimba. Ever heard it?

https://scrimba.com/

I just came across it a couple of weeks ago and was blown away. It's combines video with a live code editor. The video and code are kept in sync, and you can edit the edit the code to see changes. I think some gsap courses on Scrimba would be freaking amazing.

cc @Carl

• Like 4

Thanks, Blake.

2 hours ago, OSUblake said:

Made me think of Scrimba. Ever heard it?

No - but I just checked out a couple and those are cool.

I had considered typing the code up as I spoke and decided not to as a way to keep the videos shorter.

I do plan to add some interactive elements, though, like when I get to drag an object. 
I also have an occasional activity planned as well. Should be fun.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Greg Stager said:

I had considered typing the code up as I spoke and decided not to as a way to keep the videos shorter.

I actually like watching the code being typed, even if it makes the video longer. I just hate it when the coding happens too fast, and you miss what was typed. I guess that's what I really like about Scrimba, you can edit the teacher's code.

5 minutes ago, OSUblake said:

I actually like watching the code being typed, even if it makes the video longer. I just hate it when the coding happens too fast,

Good feedback - perhaps I will go ahead and record typing up the example for the next one.

I am not the fastest or most accurate typist so you won't have to worry about me going too fast. 😄

• Like 1

Scrimba looks pretty neat @OSUblake.

I'm gonna pass that along to this guy I know. He's really good with code and has a whole bunch of Pixi and canvas knowledge he could share with the world. It'd be really cool if he did some tutorials. They wouldn't necessarily need to be posted on Scrimba. He could start his own training site too. 

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...