Search Community

Scale element but retain stroke-width

franklylate test
Moderator Tag

Hi all, bit of a conundrum:

I have a rudimentary globe and looking to animate a simple spin. I've decided on using scaleX and transformOrigin: "100% 50%" to just scale over to -1 and it works 'perfectly'. Unfortunately scaleX also scales the stroke—I tested vector-effect="non-scaling-stroke" but unfortunately it removes the proportion / resizing attributes that I'm relying on to keep the SVG working as intended in IE11.

Besides switching to stroke-width: 3.5vw and media queries or some variation, any simple solutions?

See the Pen OJyrPwm by jcollette (@jcollette) on CodePen

3 hours ago, OSUblake said:

Don't worry about IE.

Or don't use strokes. Canvas can do what you want.

Unfortunately my user base is still 10% IE11. Canvas isn't an option since I'm exporting an SVG from Illustrator and would prefer to not recreate in JS.  Can you tell me more about not using strokes? Not certain what that entails.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, franklylate said:

Unfortunately my user base is still 10% IE11.

That's unusually high. You need to get better users. 😉

3 hours ago, franklylate said:

Canvas isn't an option since I'm exporting an SVG from Illustrator and would prefer to not recreate in JS.  Can you tell me more about not using strokes? Not certain what that entails.

I was trying to nudge you to canvas. In canvas, you would just draw each arc with the same line width, but with a variable radius based on the size of the container.

Here's a naive approach. This assumes there is no other scaling being applied to the element. I'm manually setting the stroke width on the top arc. The bottom arc has a non-scaling-stroke.

See the Pen fc06e44a73675195758bf95fda2aafbd by osublake (@osublake) on CodePen

Also, I'd recommend switching to v3 and the new syntax.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, PointC said:

I always send this video to IE users.

So true!

In other news, I just downloaded the new Edge, and I love it. It's exactly like Chrome, but with smooth scrolling and a couple other features.  Can't wait for MS to push that out to all the legacy IE/Edge users.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PointC said:

Smooth scrolling in Edge? Cool. I'll miss the clunky jerky scrolling of the past.

I've always had smooth scrolling in IE, Edge, and FF. I know it's a setting in IE. Not sure about the other browsers.

image.png.32b8970a3c89ffd9c2674927e747b6d1.png

1 hour ago, PointC said:

Is this new version pushing out with a Win10 update or do you have to go find it?

It's supposed to be pushed automatically in a couple months, but you can get it now.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge

But I followed Option 1 here so that it doesn't get rid of the old Edge. Still might need for testing purposes for the next year or so.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/144061-enable-microsoft-edge-side-side-browser-experience-windows-10-a.html

• Like 1