Search Community

Ways of defining elements for animations

GVI02 test
Moderator Tag

Tags, svg or canvas  

1. 1. Which do you prefer for defining objects for animating?

• tags
    • svg
    • canvas

Hello there,

hopping everyone is having a great day. Web animations are a new world for me, which I've had a lot of fun exploring in the past few weeks. I've started a few small projects and have a lot more ideas. Each time I start one I find myself at this weird crossword where I know how I want to animate an object but I'm not sure what that object should be, should I make a canvas, an svg, maybe a div, or just slap a jpeg and call it a day. So I am here, yet again, in the GreenSock Forum seeking knowledge. Which way of doing things is best in what situation?

Hey GVI02 and welcome!

What type of object you should animate depends 100% of your needs. I regularly animate DOM elements, SVG elements, Canvas objects, and WebGL objects with GSAP. It can handle the animation of any object in JS :) 

What you should be asking yourself is: what am I animating? And what format works best for that sort of animation? We're happy to point you in the right direction if you're unsure.

• Like 3

Hmm I gravitate towards svg, I don't know why. I am thinking about making a coordinate system where you can animate different functions, points and such. What would you recommend for this>

My main idea is to be able to draw a curve based on  a given formula, but I'm not sure how to do it. I can solve the function for a punch of values and draw points at each on a canvas, or maybe I can do something with svg paths and bézier curves.

32 minutes ago, GVI02 said:

My main idea is to be able to draw a curve based on  a given formula

Depending on how many formulas you're wanting to support that's quite an undertaking :) I might recommend using an existing plotting library.

Most likely I'd use canvas in that context.

• Like 1