Search Community

Input Textfield Randomly Disapear on Select [FLASH BUG]

mika test
Moderator Tag

Hi,

Im having an issue with TransformManager AS3.

I'd like to transform text, not the textField bounds, the actual text. But text randomly vaporizes...

I set up an example :

mc is a clip, theres 3 textfield nested inside :

1 input

1 dynamic

1 static

heres the code I used :

import com.greensock.transform.TransformManager;
var manager:TransformManager = new TransformManager({targetObjects:[mc],  constrainScale:true});

heres the swf : http://blog.mikarama.fr/astest/testtransform.html

and fla : http://blog.mikarama.fr/astest/testtransform.fla

If I rotate the mc, and select/deselect many times, the dynamic text will disapear (I havent noticed any pattern, but it always end up disapearing).

It also happens without rotating the mc.

I'm confused. I seen the note about Flex textfield, but nothing describing this odd behavior.

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks

mika

This definitely looks like a bug in Flash itself related to a TextField with "auto kern" set to true. It doesn't have to do specifically with TransformManager from what I can tell. I've seen other bugs related to TextFields with "auto kern" set to true as well, so I'd recommend avoiding it if you can. Once I deselected "auto kern" on your TextField, I couldn't get it to disappear (I tried selecting/deselecting more than 50 times).

Indeed, that seems to settle it. I guess i can live without kerning, so as far as TM is concerned, we can call it Solved.

Thanks for the fast and precise answer, really appreciate it.

So now i can transform my text : can you think of a way to edit the textInput inside the transformed mc ? Otherwise i can use some switch to transform the mc or the textfield, but thats quite some extra code.

And at last, theres no skew method right ? i can skew with multiple items selected only. That would be a nice one.

mika

So now i can transform my text : can you think of a way to edit the textInput inside the transformed mc ? Otherwise i can use some switch to transform the mc or the textfield, but thats quite some extra code.

You could listen for a DOUBLE_CLICK event or something and then deselect the object and remove it from TransformManager so that your nested TextFields could be edited. Just a thought.

And at last, theres no skew method right ? i can skew with multiple items selected only. That would be a nice one.

Correct. Skewing isn't really a common feature requirement/request and frankly it can get pretty complicated to implement especially in a system that allows multiple selections. The UI would be a bit challenging as well because right now, there's a 10-pixel invisible border surrounding the selection that allows the user to grab and drag the selection (moving it) but if I added a skew feature, it would probably have to replace that functionality so that the edges could be used to skew instead of move. Anyway, in summary, you are correct - no direct skewing is possible right now.

You could listen for a DOUBLE_CLICK event or something and then deselect the object and remove it from TransformManager so that your nested TextFields could be edited. Just a thought.

Great ! with a double click, I can switch to editing mode : I already have the text content and formating tools, but didnt knew how I would edit text. You just gave me the answer : double click, switch to live editing ! sharp thinking :)

About the skewing, I thought it was include and was part of my decision buying the tool. I am nowhere disapointed because its still rocking, but I'd be please to see it in a future release. Dream on : alt click to deform an item, 4 corners handles and sides ones, just like in the authoring ... with some constraining it would even be a 3D feature, just like ... Photoshop transform tool :)

Might be out of your scope, but daydreaming never killed nobody.

Cheers

mika